628416 Nagar,Veerapandianpattinam,Trichendur, Tuticorin district Tamil Nadu
Contact person: Sekhar, John
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Women's policy
- Overnight facilities
- Volunteers are welcome.
Anawim Trust (Anawim in hebrew means poor) was initiated in 1993 by a group of concerned individuals from Tuticorin district in the southeastern coast of Tamil Nadu.
Anawim Trust has been working for the socio-economic development of Dalit villages. It works with the rural communities facing severe marginalisation in social, economic and cultural terms. Most of the village people survive by providing unskilled labour for daily wages. Anawim began by setting up small tuition centers and providing loans to the women in these primarily coastal villages.
Its goal is to support the empowerment of rural communities in the exercising of their rights and increased access to natural resources in order to have greater control over their lives, livelihoods and environment.
Anawim works through three major programmes - women, children, environment - to empower the rural poor.
- to provide the children with access to education and support in their educational endeavors,
- to provide these children with additional enrichment opportunities, including environmental awareness and conservation programs, cultural activities and even computer courses,
- to empower women in the villages, help them to form a network (within a village and across villages) and give them the opportunity to engage in income-generating activities,
- to attain self-sustainability of the project via the microcredit program,
- to set up Asha Junior Centers in 40 Dalit villages in this region, to create a very visible "proof of concept" and serve as a model, that others can replicate.
Mr. John Sekhar is one of the trustees of the organization, he is the commissioner of customs.
For other net participants we can offer overnight facilities. Further we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, deliver a lecture, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the following fields: women, children, environment. We have a training centre which can house 60 people, for organizations wanting to run training programs in the areas indicated above. We can receive volunteers for 6 months work, they can teach languages, work with women groups, work in our organic farm.