ARCHEMED Ärzte für Kinder in Not e.V.
Grüner Weg 12
Contact person: Cordula Hölting
- Aid for developing countries
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
The non-profit association ARCHEMED - Doctors for Children in Need was founded in Soest by Peter Schwidtal. Our ultimate goal is to significantly improve the lives of children in Eritrea through medical and humanitarian assistance.
• We treat and operate on sick children.
• We provide professional care for mothers giving birth and their newborn children.
• We create medical infrastructure and train Eritrean medical staff.
• We operate a state-of-the-art Children's Surgery Centre (IOCCA) that successfully performs 500-600 surgical operations on children per year, including more than 100 heart operations.
• We care for premature babies and sick newborns in a total of five provincial clinics.
• We help people to help themselves.
• Our numerous projects as well as the hospital buildings we have financed ensure that the Eritrean children (and thus their families) are sustainably helped.
• Our teams of voluntary doctors, nurses and technicians work directly on site: not just in the capital Asmara, but now in four other provincial clinics.
• In addition to the broad range of treatments with and without surgery, our core competence is in perinatal medicine, i.e. a safe birth accompaniment and the care of new and premature babies.
• In addition, ARCHEMED's mission is to train native physicians and nurses on real patients i.e. to teach people at the grassroots how to provide lasting and consistent patient care, and to make ourselves redundant in the long term through knowledge transfer.
• We are renovating and refurbishing existing hospital wards, ensuring their safe supply of electricity and water, and building a new perinatal centre in Keren.
Cordula Hölting is the director of ARCHEMED – Doctors for Children in Need.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.