Canaan Care Centres
57 Belgravia Crescent
Southernwood East London
Contact person: Karen Herman, Ellie Saayman
+27 (0)43 722 5262; +27 (0)71 422 4723
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Human rights
- Volunteers are welcome.
Canaan Care Centres is a non-profit organisation designed to support children from birth to 16 years old with severe physical disabilities and profound Learning Disabilities. Formally the Foden Centre, Canaan was opened in 2006 with a leap of faith, R100 in the bank and a committee of parents who wanted a place of safety and specialized care for their children. Our vision of person-centred support is to start with the child and build a programme around their needs.
Canaan Care Centres will provide an appropriate and therapeutic environment, in which children with disabilities can develop the skills necessary to reach their full potential. We will offer a high standard of care and a personalised approach to support work, which encourages growth and promotes independence.
Canaan Care Centres offers a Special School environment for children aged from birth to 16 years old with severe physical disabilities and profound Learning Disabilities.
Our Special School will provide;
• A high ratio of qualified staff to numbers of children.
• Full care; toileting, changing, washing, dressing, feeding, moving and positioning.
• Stimulation, activities and play.
• Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech and Language Therapy and Sensory Integration Therapy.
• Alternative treatments such as aqua therapy, animal therapy, light and music therapy.
• Staff trained in specialised treatments such as suctioning and cupping for children who develop a lot of phlegm and are too weak to cough, or splinting and strapping for children with cerebral palsy.
• Adaptive education, lessons in life skills and independence development sessions.
• A full menu consisting of breakfast, lunch and snacks designed by a qualified dietician.
• Support and education for the parents / guardians and primary care givers.
Ellie Saayman ist he Manager of the Canaan Care Centres.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.