Alternatives To Violences Centered Organisation for Humanity (AVCOH)
P.O BOX 209; Plot 17 Maruzi Road Opposite National Water And Sewarage Cooperation
Contact person: Raymond Olung
+256 782531179; +256 776412850; +256 787179848
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Volunteers are welcome.
Alternatives To Violences Centered Organisation For Humanity AVCOH-UGANDA was started in Febrary 2009 with a wider program to empower orphans and other vulnerable children, youth, women and persons with disability (PWD) in the post conflict region of Northern Uganda, through life skills training, livelihood support, provision of educational opportunities, mitigating the impact of conflicts, and HIV/AIDS.
It is an indigenous, not for profit, non denominational, non sectarian Civil Society Organization. We are currently operating in, Lira, and Kole districts of Lango sub region, Northern-Uganda.
Our Vision: An empowered society with improved quality of life
Our Mission: To contribute towards the reduction of community vulnerabilities (poverty, depression, trauma etc) through building psychosocial and economic capacities of persons, families and communities in the areas of education, health, human rights and livelihood.
Aims and Objectives
• To strengthen livelihood capacities of disadvantaged/vulnerable persons for improved standard of living and sustained access to basic necessities of life
• To promote access to formal and informal education for the vulnerable groups like orphans, youth and children for acquisition and building of basic knowledge and skills necessary for generation of individual livelihoods
• To contribute towards the fight against HIV/AIDS through prevention, care and support services.
• To advocate for and promote respect for human rights and eradication of child abuse
• To create enabling environment for internship and research conducted by students/organizations/institutions at local, national and international levels
• To promote positive cultures, exploit and develop music and sports talents within the local communities for socio-economic transformation including adolescent youth and sexual reproductive health.
AVCOH uses the following strategies among others:
• Community mobilization.
• Training workshops and meetings.
• Community open forum.
• Dialogue and focus group discussion.
• Vocational Training: Train youth and their households through tailoring, ICT (computer training, carpentry and joinary, farmer field school (FFS) and urban horticulture methodologies; We carry out behavior change communication (BCC) activities on farming habits, food consumption, such activities include; cooking demonstration, nutritional dialogues conducted by trained nutritional role model beneficiaries; mothers & teachers, exchange visits, use of IEC materials. AVCOH also facilitates linkages to nutritional health services for the vulnerable that are malnourished.
• Socio-economic empowerment: Establishment and support to Village Savings and Loan Associations (VSLAs), facilitate linkages to micro financial services & insurance schemes for the vulnerable, provide market-oriented skills, facilitate enterprise development and explore/support the beneficiaries to research market opportunities.
• Child Protection & Legal services: Conduct targeted trainings for community structures, conduct case management, referrals, family support visits, and conduct interactive learning sessions especially for small community groups especially on issues on abuse, exploitation, land grabbing and inheritance; Establishment and operational zing child rights clubs in schools, creating and encouraging use of suggestion box, debating and promoting rights focus games and sports
• Family Strengthening/HIV/AIDS: Conduct dialogues and workshops for the vulnerable households, strengthen referral system to critical services, foster innovative partnership with private sector, family support visits/psychosocial support for HIV/AIDS client and prevention activities
Raymond Olung is the Co-Director of the Alternatives To Violences Centered Organisation For Humanity (AVCOH)
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.