A project of New Millennium Network Ltd.
44 District Road
HA0 2LG Wembley, Middlesex
Ansprechpartner: Tony Soares
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
SlumAid is a non-profit organisation working with some of the world´s poorest communities in education and healthcare. SlumAid is a project of The New Millennium Network. From London to Mumbai, SlumAid was born from a desire to create change for those struggling against the tide of poverty, found in such concentration within India´s slums. With projects in Mumbai, Jaipur and Nairobi, SlumAid supports local NGOs in empowering people to change their lives – from schools and health clinics to community development projects.
To enable people to make a practical and lasting difference to the lives of others, through volunteering.
Our vision is a world in which everyone has the right to health, education and participation; where everyone can fulfill their potential – through the valuable vehicle of volunteering.
SlumAid´s aims and objectives are to:
• Work with local NGOs on programmes to improve conditions for slum dwellers.
• Enhance life opportunities for slum dwellers through education and qualifications.
• Improve the health of slum dwellers through disease control and better nutrition.
• Give volunteers a unique experience of working in areas of extreme poverty and deprivation.
Since its formation, SlumAid volunteers have funded and physically contributed to many community projects. By enabling sustainable projects and facilities, focusing on key areas such as education, child welfare, primary healthcare, health education, and employment skills, SlumAid supports communities in creating better opportunities and scope for further development. We currently finance English language classes in Mumbai and Jaipur and contribute towards the salaries of English language teachers. Volunteers supplement the teaching.
We believe that access to quality education and healthcare are human rights, not privileges. Our projects, based in some of the world´s most deprived slum areas in India and Kenya, partner with local NGOs providing education, healthcare and community development initiatives to help people trapped in the cycle of poverty.
• School projects: Educate and empower by teaching English: We fund schools in Mumbai and Jaipur for the many illiterate children seeing opportunities passing them by. We need English teachers to support our existing full time teaching staff, by following the English curriculum, adding their own twist and inspiring children to love learning. Watch a world of opportunities unfold for them, and for you too.
• Skill-sharing: Give a life-changing gift by teaching what you do best: From arts, crafts and sports, to constructing, cooking and event organising, if you have a skill to share which will help enrich the lives of our community members in Mumbai, Jaipur or Nairobi – through self-employment or sheer happiness – we´re sure your experience will be as rewarding as theirs will be.
• Health clinic support: Help distribute or administer medicine to many in need: Our partner´s mobile health clinics treat conditions ranging from eczema and common colds, to leprosy and tuberculosis. Working in low risk environments, we value the contribution and dedication of our medical volunteers.
Tony Soares is a Hon. Director of SlumAid.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.