Swiss Foundation for Mine Action FSD
WMO Building, 2nd floor 7bis, Avenue de la Paix
Ansprechpartner: Hansjoerg Eberle
+41 22 730 86 39; +41 79 333 00 72
+41 22 730 86 38
The Swiss Foundation for Mine Action – FSD, founded in 1997, is a not for-profit, independent and neutral organisation, based in Geneva. FSD aims to eliminate mines, unexploded ordnance, explosive remnants of war and chemical and nuclear pollutants so that people can live in a safe environment. FSD is based in Geneva, has national field offices in its countries of operation as well as a logistical and administrative support office in Manila.
FSD´s focus is on locating and destroying landmines and unexploded ordnance to prevent accidents. FSD´s overarching aim is to alleviate and diminish the social, economic and environmental impacts of landmines and unexploded ordnance, thus creating favourable conditions for the reconstruction and development of war-torn countries.
FSD´s operations incorporate:
• The development and implementation of humanitarian demining operations, clearance and neutralisation of mines and unexploded ordnance, and the destruction of stockpiles of mines and other arms and munitions;
• The remediation of hazardous pollutants such as legacy uranium tailings, organic pesticides, mercury and heavy metal pollutants and other toxic contaminations.
FSD focuses on the identification of these fundamental threats to human security and the elaboration of effective partnerships, which allows the formation of strategies and the implementation of physical operations to remediate such hazardous areas and to support the sustainable development of societies.
What we do
• Clearance of landmines and explosive remnants of war: Operations: Iraq, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Colombia, Ukraine, Philippines
• Destruction of landmines, weapons and ammunition stockpiles: Operations: Tajikistan
• Mine-risk education: Operations: Afghanistan, Ukraine, Philippines
• Victim Assistance: Operations: Afghanistan
Security Sector Reform:
• Logistic reinforcement of non-combat activities for the security sector: Operations: Central African Republic
• Armed violence reduction: Operations: Central African Republic
• Small arms and light weapons destruction: Operations: Tajikistan
Research and Development
• Remote sensing with drones and satellites: Projects: Drones in Humanitarian Action
• Remediation of Extractive Mining and Heavy Metal Pollutants and Organic Pesticides: Projects: Tajikistan, Toxic Waste
Hansjoerg Eberle is the Director General of the Swiss Foundation for Mine Action – FSD.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.