Manovikas Special School for Mentally Handicapped
690521 Sasthamcotta, Kollam, Kerala
Ansprechpartner: Dolly Jacob
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The Founder of Manovikas was Mr. D. Jacob, whose younger brother and another brother´s only daughter are intelectually disabled. In 1993, Mr. Jacob and his family members conducted a survey in Sasthamcotta village and found out 13 more such other children, below the age of 15. After a detailed study and guidance from National Institute for Mentally Handicapped (NIMH), Secundarabad, they started a small centre for the training and rehabilitation of these children in 1994.
Manovikas Special School exists to provide children with special educational needs with a wide range of opportunities to experience success. These are designed to help them progress towards being better integrated into society and then to go on to meet the demands of independent adult life. It is our goal to increase public awareness and bring forth knowledge of the challenges faced by children with special needs, and the successes they achieve
• Special Schools for Mentally Handicapped: Manovikas Special School, Sasthamcotta. Head quarters of Manovikas; Sub centres in Puthoor, Adoor(Pazhakulam), Thodiyoorand West-Kallada.
• Special Care Units: Speech Therapy Unit; Physiotherapy Unit; Psychological Counseling for the parents; Horticultural Therapy; Music Therapy
• Dairy Farm: Manovikas has a Mini Dairy Farm which enables our children to avail training in cattle rearing.
• Free Noon meals
• Community Based Rehabilitation Project - MAANASI
• Vocational Training: Children are trained in Note books making, Envelops making, Paper bags making, Broom making and Coconut shell spoon making in their Mothers´ Industrial Cooperative Society.
• Courses Offered at Manovikas: Diploma in CBR; Care Givers Training; Foundation Course
• Biodiversity Conservation of Sasthamcotta Fresh Water lake
• Manovikas Public Library
• MERCMICS (Mentally Retarded Children´s Mothers´ Industrial Cooperative Society)
• Self - Help Groups of Disabled and their parents (SHGs)
D. Jacob is the Founder of Manovikas.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.