The Lebanese Federation of the Deaf (LFD)
Evangelical Church Street
Contact person: Dr. Hussein Ismail
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Educational policy/project
- Human rights
The Lebanese Federation of the Deaf (LFD) was established on September 30th 2016, which mainly focuses and promotion of social, linguistical, cultural, and educational domains to have better life standards of Deaf and persons with hearing loss throughout Lebanon. The LFD is a non-profit Charitable Service Organization, non-sectarian, and non-governmental Federation.
Objectives of the Federation:
In accordance with the principles of equality, non-discrimination and the preservation of human dignity, which are basic principles of human rights and reinforced by international conventions, including the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and the World Federation of the Deaf, the Lebanese Federation of the Deaf carries out its activities with the aim of providing equal opportunities for deaf people with their peers from hearing persons with dignity, and their full participation in society and in all areas of life. It also specifically protects and strengthens their own sign languages and culture in Lebanon.
To achieve these goals, the Lebanese Federation of the Deaf works to:
1. Encouraging networking, cooperation, and coordination of efforts between all deaf actors and deaf associations and organizations in Lebanon and regionally. This is with the World Federation of the Deaf and committees of various kinds of activities in Lebanon and around the world.
2. Human rights advocacy that helps put pressure on the concerned authorities to reach equality between Deaf people and other citizens, and guarantees them access to human rights and access like others,
3. Initiatives and activities that help achieve equality between Deaf people and other citizens and guarantee them access to human rights and access like others.
4. Combating all kinds of exploitation and discrimination against deaf people.
5. Raising community awareness of the rights and needs of deaf people; also educates deaf people themselves.
6. Develop sign language and seek to provide a professional translation service in Lebanon that specializes in sign language translation, and to secure and organize this service to facilitate communication with deaf people, especially in emergency cases such as courts, hospitals, police stations, national conferences, etc. And the protection of this right in solidarity with associations, federations, and organizations of the deaf. maintain their sign language and receive support for the advancement of their cultural and linguistic identities.
7. Holding conferences, seminars, workshops, and training on the problems of the deaf, and seeking to find solutions to these problems.
8. Striving to provide basic needs for deaf people, especially in their right to access information and quality science, and to support sign language as the language of the cultural group of deaf people.
9. Paying attention to the social conditions of the deaf and doing what is necessary for their cognitive, cultural, sports, and recreational activities to flourish.
10. Strengthening the right of deaf people to integrate into their society and participate in all kinds of existing activities that they may be interested in, such as cultural, sports, and recreational activities.
11. Conducting research and preparing studies.
12. To be a major reference for the investigation of information on deaf people in Lebanon and on matters related to them.
Dr. Hussein Ismail is the President of the Lebanese Federation of the Deaf (LFD).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.