Kigali Hope Organization (KHO)
Gasabo, Prince house RN3 & RN15
Contact person: Viateur Muragijerurema
- Aid organization
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Women's policy
Kigali Hope Organization (KHO) is a youth civil society organization whose members and beneficiaries are young people living with HIV. The organization is registered by Rwanda Governance Board (RGB) and the legal personality number is 554/RGB/NGO/LP/10/2019.
KHO is the only network of young people living with HIV in Rwanda; KHO Strategic Plan’s focus rests on the following long term goals: Reduce New HIV Infections among Youths in Rwanda, AIDS Impact Mitigation, Human Rights Promotion, Advocacy and Social Welfare, Capacity Building and Organizational Development. KHO has been and is still unique youth led organization at the front of fighting against HIV and human rights promotion, advocacy and social welfare of young people living with HIV in Rwanda, as result KHO member is a global fund youth community board member here in Rwanda.
Since its inception KHO has been striving to improve the lives of young people living with HIV, KHO has trained and economically empowered underprivileged youth infected and affected by HIV in the skills they need to transform their lives and their communities in order to make a greater contribution towards ending the AIDS epidemic.
The target beneficiaries have an age range between 15-24 because this is a critical transition period from childhood to adulthood during which most people become sexually active. Targeting this age range helps youths including young people living with HIV to be empowered to make healthy life choices as they enter ages 25 and beyond.
Kigali Hope Organization’s vision is to see a nation where youth infected and affected by HIV are at the frontline in HIV response, their rights are recognized, their involvement in HIV and AIDS prevention, care and support meaningfully respected to enable them to contribute towards an HIV-free generation.
Improve lives of young people infected and affected with HIV through advocacy, primary prevention, positive prevention and HIV & AIDS impact mitigation as well as deliver the place where every young person’s potential is fulfilled.
Objectives of the Organization
• To advocate for the rights and welfare of young people living with HIV.
• To reduce new HIV infections among young people through empowerment and psychosocial supports.
• To educate HIV positive adolescents and young people on the benefits of positive prevention.
• To strengthen the social and economic status of youth so they can take an active role in development.
• To enhance primary prevention and sexual reproductive health education among young people
• To promote gender equality and positive attitudes towards non-violence practices among young people in Rwanda.
Project experience with international and local partners:
• Rwanda Biomedical Center
• Rwanda Network of People living with HIV
• Health Development Initiative
• Access Challenge
• AHF Rwanda: since 2014 until now KHO is a local implementing partner of AHF to support youth and local community on HIV testing and counselling, CONDOM distribution through 7 condom kiosks in Kigali and other 3 condom kiosks outside Kigali
• Plan International Rwanda
• Imbuto Foundation (Global Fund -SSF/HIV project): From 2012-2015 KHO was local implementing partners of SSF/HIV through Imbuto Foundation to empower young people living with HIV on positive prevention, SRHR and share with other youth their testimony and importance of HIV prevention.
• UNWOMEN: since 2013 KHO has been working with UNWOMEN to empower young girls living with HIV on business development and bankable projects
• ILO: KHO in 2015 worked with ILO to empower youth on business start-up and saving
• UNESCO: KHO worked with UNESCO and training of 300 peer educators (1 teacher and 29 students per school) from 10 schools on practices for delivering information about HIV and AIDS, unwanted pregnancies, positive living and empowerment of young people to seek for available health services. Conduct awareness and sensitization sessions in 10 schools by witnesses from KHO, health workers, local leaders and family members on unwanted pregnancies among young girls, HIV and positive living and reference for available sexual health services.
• UNAIDS: UNAIDS is our strategic partner supporting us in strategic planning development for young people living with HIV
• Eannaso: to implement the project on development of Score cards and Shadow report for the Rwanda Country Coordinating Mechanism(CCM)
Viateur Muragijerurema is the Executive Director of Kigali Hope Organization (KHO).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.