Rays of Hope e.V.
60318 Frankfurt am Main
Contact person: Dr. Katrin Emmrich
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Environmental project
In 2003, some employees from a major German airline – regularly confronted with everyday hardships faced by many South Africans – decided to provide their support on a private level. Friends and acquaintances joined soon. In 2007, Rays of Hope e.V. (RoH) was founded and registered as a charitable organization.
Our goal is to assist needy South Africans by strengthening their self-esteem and showing them ways out of poverty for an independent and dignified life.
We translate this vision not only by merely assuring people’s survival but also and mainly through education and training involving toddlers, students, young people, adults as well as people who are intellectually challenged.
RoH selects its South African partner organizations based on a the following stringent requirements:
• Non-Profit status with socio-ecological orientation
• Focus on education and training with the objective to help people to help themselves
• Political and religious independence
• Ensuring sustainability
• Clear organizational structure as well as transparent and responsible leadership
Our current partners are Lesedi la Batho (broad-based community development project in the Township near Pretoria) and Camphill Village West Coast (economic stabilization of a village for some 100 residents with physical and mental deficiencies north of Cape Town).
What we do
• In co-operation with our partners we are bringing new perspectives into the lives of the people through ecological and sustainable social, educational and infrastructure projects.
• Besides financial emergency support we stabilize the work of our partner organizations for instance by implementing ecological infrastructure measures to dampen operational expenses over the long term.
• We also support our projects with expertise, either through desk-top advice or through the temporary on-site involvement of highly qualified volunteering specialists from Europe.
• This close collaboration ensures transparency and creates lasting trust. Our projects are based on the principle of helping people help themselves and are geared towards sustainability. Even small contributions help building a better future for many people in South Africa.
Dr. Katrin Emmrich is the Chairwoman of the Board of Rays of Hope e.V. For her relentless engagement she was awarded the Order of Merit by Germany’s President in 2021.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.