Harnessing research that makes a difference
Jalan Batu Maung, Batu Maung
11960 Bayan Lepas, Penang
Ansprechpartner: Klaus von Grebmer
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
WorldFish, founded in 1977, a member of the CGIAR Consortium, is an international, nonprofit research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger by improving fisheries and aquaculture. CGIAR is a global partnership that unites organizations engaged in research for a food secure future.
CGIAR research is dedicated to
• reducing rural poverty,
• increasing food security,
• improving human health and nutrition, and
• ensuring more sustainable management of natural resources.
WorldFish is committed to meeting two key development challenges:
• improving the livelihoods of those who are especially poor and vulnerable in places where fisheries and aquaculture can make a difference and
• achieving large scale, environmentally sustainable, increases in supply and access to fish at affordable prices for poor consumers in developing countries.
With more than 353 scientists and staff based in 8 countries across Asia, Africa and the Pacific we work in more than 19 countries around the world. Currently our regional or country offices are in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Egypt, Malawi, Malaysia (HQ), Philippines, Solomon Islands, and Zambia.
Focal Areas for Research and Key Research Questions WorldFish will tackle:
• Climate Change
• Gender and equity
• Improved value chains
• Nutrition and health
• Sustainable aquaculture technologies
• Policies and practice for resilience
• Adding fish to the mix: Diversifying agriculture for improved productivity
• African aquaculture: development beyond the fish farm
• Aquaculture helping to improve health and nutrition in Bangladesh
• Biodiversity of Freshwater Ecosystems: status, trends, pressures and conservation priorities
• Building Livelihood Security and Reducing Conflict in Freshwater Ecoregions
• Unleashing the potential of GIFT tilapia on the Indian subcontinent
Klaus von Grebmer is acting director of the Communication and Donor Relations Division at WorldFish .
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.