Forward Step Organisation (FSO)
P.O.Box 21, Plot No. 84, Block P Mwanakalenge Street
Bagamoyo – Coast
Contact person: Vincent Vinbro Ssekamatte
+255 (0) 65 649 6348; +255 625 969 713
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Women's policy
- Volunteers are welcome.
Formerly known as Faudhia’s Sisters Organization, Forward Step Organisation (FSO) was founded in 2011 in Bagamoyo, Pwani by Vincent Vinbro Ssekamatte and Faudhia Yusuf Zando, two artists with a shared ambition of challenging discrimination against women through art and education. FSO formerly known as Faudhia’s Sisters Organization is a grass-roots level, not-for-profit, non-governmental and activist organization with focus on developing and empowering girls and women by using arts, education and health programs, and employment opportunities, grants and lobbying Based in Bagamoyo, Coast, we aspire to opening up branches in different regions across Tanzania mainland.
Our vision is for Tanzania's women to be educated, skilled and financially independent.
We support nearly 500 girls and 200 women in Bagamoyo and Chalinze Districts through our learning center, workshops and outreach projects, focusing on education, art, skill development, health and hygiene, and entrepreneurship.
What we do
FSO Learning Center
• At our learning center in Bagamoyo, 40-50 girls aged 9 to 22 attend our classes and workshops each week.
• We run workshops on topics such as entrepreneurship and work ethics, personal and menstrual health and hygiene, crafts and drama, as well as offering educational support and skill development in English, Mathematics and computer literacy.
• Through the craft session, we teach girls that the jewelry and art they create can generate income, which we then use to buy their school supplies, such as notebooks, school bags and shoes. The girls then have the chance to understand the impact of their own ability to earn an income as well as manage their finances.
• We also work in the wider communities through local community leaders, such as the Changalikwa Secondary School where 70 secondary school girls benefit from our services.
• Our health and hygiene sensitization program in the villages around Bagamoyo has so far reached 300 girls, who now have the necessary knowledge and ability to safely and confidently manage their personal and menstrual health and hygiene.
Art and drama:
• We see art as a platform to raise issues affecting young girls and women, and promoting empowerment, especially through drama workshops and theater production. We for example use participatory theater to provide a safe space and champion a dialogue between men and women on the need to change aspects of Tanzanian culture to redefine gender roles for modern life.
Vincent Vinbro Ssekamatte is a Founder of Forward Step Organisation (FSO).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.