P.O. Box 40-40319
Mbita, Mfangano Island, Homa-Bay County
Contact person: Samuel Ochieng Odoyo
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Environmental project
- Volunteers are welcome.
Sagrema Foundation was founded and expanded by Samuel Ochieng Odoyo, Grace Akinyi Ochieng and Meroline Akinyi Ochieng in the year 2016 as a branch of Sagrema self help group. We are a community based organization operating alongside the communities and initiating development projects to eradicate poverty and care for less fortunate children, widows, widowers, the aged, households, families based on the beautiful Mfangano Island in the middle of Lake Victoria Kenya.
To empower and further sustainable development through micro finance initiatives, education, quality health care, environmental initiatives, and the use of organic and perm-culture farming methods in Mfangano and Sister Islands in Lake Victoria Kenya.
To create a sustainable future for Mfangano and Sister Islands in Lake Victoria Kenya
We believe that the path out of poverty begins when the next generation can access quality health-care, a great education and is empowered financially
• Promotion of primary, secondary and post secondary education in Mfangano and Sister Islands
• Micro finance initiatives
• Provision of quality health care.
• Environmental initiatives
• Sustainable organic agriculture and perm-culture
• Community education through seminars, workshops and trainings.
• Education: We work to improve high school and postsecondary education, and support vulnerable children by sponsoring students, donating classroom lockers, desks and chairs, school fences, build new classrooms and Refurbish old school buildings in Mfangano and Sister Islands.
• Healthcare: We fund-raise to help put up community health facilities, equip them and charity run them to help improve services to the communities' poorest households and helps them expand access to health coverage.
• Organic farming: We focuses on empowerment and sustainable economic development of Mfangano Island communities through organic agriculture and permaculture
• Eco Projects: We aims at overhauling deforestation and unsound land practices by training local farmers and the communities on sustainable agriculture and reforestation methods to preserve natural forests, we also provide seedlings for reforestation.
• Women Empowerment: The Women’s Micro-finance Initiative supports the disadvantaged and less privileged households and families on the islands. It builds assets to stabilize their income, raise their standard of living, and reorient themselves and their families. Our small loans bring big changes to impoverished women who use the money to begin or expand small businesses. Borrowers use their loan money to grow and sell their produce, open small shops, Hotels, and beauty salons.
• Youth Empowerment: The Youths' Micro-finance Initiative supports the less fortunate young and energetic youths on the islands. It builds assets to stabilize their income, raise their standard of living, and reorient themselves and their families. Our small loans bring big changes to impoverished youths who use the money to begin or expand small businesses. Borrowers use their loan money to grow and sell their produce, open small shops, and run local transportation.
We coordinate our small grass-root groups with NGOs, other foundations, organizations, donors, volunteers, and various governmental funding opportunities to get revolving funds for borrowing and running their small income-generating activities.
Samuel Ochieng Odoyo is the Executive Chairman and CEO of the Sagrema Foundation-
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.