Cabragh Wetlands Trust
Thurles, Co Tipperary
Ansprechpartner: Michael Long
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The Cabragh Wetlands is a 200 acre floodplain marsh which pulsates with a huge variety of wildlife living among the reed swamps, fen carr, flood callows and open water. The Cabragh Wetlands Trust was registered in 1993 in an effort to save a vast area of wetland habitats from destruction after the filling-in of the settling pools by the Thurles Sugar Factory during its closure. These lagoons used to be an oasis of wildlife, particularly birds. The Trust was formed and acquired the land adjacent to the filled-in lagoons to ensure the continuation of this resting place for migratory birds.
At Cabragh Wetlands we are committed to the three-fold vision of:
A wide variety of activities are offered on an ongoing basis to the general public, with the aim to create a greater awareness to the conservation and appreciation of our natural environment.
• During the summer months we offer a number of guided walks through the wetland with pond dipping and identifying wild flowers, trees and birds as well as workshops on a number of topics including bird box making and planting hedgerows.
• A series of winter lectures are held each year with topics ranging from ´The Cosmic Walk´, ´Bee-keeping´, ´Nature and the First World War´ to ´Heritage and the Tipperary Landscape´. Full details will be made available in the local press and on our blog "The Snipe".
• Primary Schools Programme: The Centre is run by a group of committed volunteers who provide exciting field trips for children of primary school age.
Our volunteers have developed a number of projects over the years:
• Education centre with meeting room, kitchen facilities, office and carpark
• Raised Bird Hide with lift for disabled access
• Footpaths and Boardwalks allowing easy access to the full range of habitats available in Cabragh Wetlands
• Illustrated information boards on walks to guide people on the birds, plants and animals to be seen in the area
Michael Long is the Manager of the Cabragh Wetlands Trust.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.