Horizon Lanka Foundation (HLF)
No 125, Left Bank
50022 Mahawilachchiya, Anuradhapura
Contact person: Nanda Wanninayaka
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
The Horizon Lanka Foundation (HLF) was established in 1998 due to the determination of Mr. Nanda Wanninayaka and a group of children from the rural village of Mahawilachchiya. Now we are in the process of registering the organization as an NGO.
• It runs academic programs to students in rural villages in Sri Lanka. The student body is made up primarily of local children who come to Horizon Academies after public school, during weekends and public school vacations. Horizon Lanka Foundation is a non-profit supplementary education institute that teaches English, Information and Communication Technology, science, mathematics, fine arts and sports to the children of Mahawilachchiya, Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka.
• We also train the children in presentation skills, public speaking and personal development. In addition to these subjects, the students learn much more. Thanks to our dedicated staff and the hard work of local and foreign volunteers, the students also learn important life skills such as interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, tolerance, leadership, caring for others and the environment, sustainable development and teamwork.
• The Horizon Lanka Foundation is a pillar in the local communities and works with them to improve the lives of all involved. We do this by assigning our local and foreign volunteers to assist the local public schools during morning sessions as Horizon Academies do not open during mornings except for school holidays and long public school vacations. Our ultimate goal is to empower rural youth so that they may work towards improving the conditions of their community as well as the surrounding communities.
• Furthermore, we implemented ICT infrastructure in the village. We were instrumental in getting 2G and 3G mobile phone technology to Mahawilachchiya in 2006 and 2009 respectively. We covered half of the village with a Wi-Fi mesh internet network in 2006 and again covered the whole village with an extended Wi-Fi mesh internet network in 2009. We are currently in the process of convincing a leading ISP in Sri Lanka to provide 4G home broadband to Mahawilachchiya.
The main strength of the organization was its innovative ways of teaching English and IT and getting the foreign volunteers to teach.
Nanda Wanninayaka is the Chairman / CEO of the Horizon Lanka Foundation (HLF).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.