ABCs and Rice
45 Ferguson Ave
ON P0M 1H0 Capreol
Contact person: Tammy Durand, Holly Bygrave
+1 705-858-2385; +855 077 707 514
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Volunteers are welcome.
ABC’s and Rice has been operational since Jan 2010 and is funded through donations and funding sources. It was set up by Canadian Tammy Durand.
ABCs and Rice, a Canadian NGO, is located in the Poom Sala and Kroligne area of Siem Reap, Cambodia.
ABCs and Rice offers free education, nutrition and healthcare to children of Siem Reap Cambodia in the Sala and Kroligne Village areas. At times, it is also a safe-haven for children otherwise vulnerable to child labour, neglect and in some cases abuse.
ABCs currently assists over 200 students and their families, through food and education. Students attend ABCs and Rice for half the day and local Khmer school the other half.
ABCS and Rice empower families, individuals and communities through education to break the cycle of poverty.
The mission of ABCs and Rice is to activate global awareness and helpful resources on the plight of those caught in a cycle of poverty; and to initiate, operate effective community projects, based on the concept of educating children in their native culture and English literacy, while concurrently nurturing the physical and psychological well-being of the children and their families.
Our core programs are:
• English school: Six classes taught by Khmer educators and supported by volunteers from all over the world.
• Breakfast and lunch club: Provided by Pack the Essentials.
• Rice rations: Distributed to families once a month to encourage excellent attendance.
• Supplies sponsorship: Sponsorship of uniforms and other school supplies so students can be prepared in Khmer school.
• Higher Education scholarships: Partial or fully funded tuition for students with higher education aspirations.
The Sustainable Food Program employs local farmers to run the chicken and pig farms managed by ABC’s and Rice. Further employment will be provided through the other elements of the Program including:
• the development of more farms including chicken, fish, mushroom and banana-growing by the end of 2011. These farms will employ local people who will be trained in good farming practices.
• the employment of cooks who will be skilled up to utilise harvests from the farms to feed the 180 school children through the Breakfast and Lunch Clubs. The surplus stock will be sold or bartered to build and expand upon the Sustainable Food Program.
In addition to the Education Program and Sustainable Food Program, ABC’s and Rice also provides monthly food supplies to local families, personal support and development to the children and their families, and medical and dental care for the children.
Tammy Durand is the Founder of ABCs and Rice and Holly Bygrave is the Volunteer Coordinator of ABCs and Rice in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.