1800 Murray Avenue; PO Box 81188
PA 15217 Pittsburgh
Contact person: Samir Lakhani
- Aid organization
- Environmental project
- Educational policy/project
Eco-Soap Bank is a humanitarian and environmental non-profit organization working to save, sanitize, and supply recycled hotel soap for the developing world.
Eco-Soap Bank is a United States 501(c)(3) organization working with the Cambodian hotel industry to reduce waste and provide soap with hygiene education to rural Cambodians.
Lack of access to soap remains a critical factor in fighting the spread of preventable diseases worldwide. In some areas of the developing world, only 1% of households have soap for handwashing Eco-Soap Bank seeks to address the critical need for hygiene. Working since 2014, Eco-Soap Bank has sustainably supplied over 1,1 million people with soap and hygiene education.
Our work has three objectives:
• Contribute a highly cost-effective hygiene product to improve health.
• Significantly reduce the waste generated by the hotel industry.
• Provide livelihoods and free education to disadvantaged women with no other reliable source of income.
• Collecting: Eco-Soap Bank collects gently used soap bars from hotels and guesthouses.
• Sanitizing: The collected soap bars are sanitized and processed into new ones.
• Donating: The soap bars are donated to hospitals, clinics, schools, orphanages, and village communities
• Training: All donations are paired with hand washing training to ensure communities remain safe from preventable illnesses.
Our process is designed to be simple, efficient, and scalable. In addition, an important component of our model is the way the soap is recycled. Eco-Soap Bank focuses on hiring local women from disadvantaged backgrounds, training them as soap recyclers, and providing them with steady wages. Our soapmakers play an integral role in our mission to make access to soap a human right.
Samir Lakhani is the Founder / Executive Director of Eco-Soap Bank.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.