Self Kassel e.V.
Untere Königsstraße 46 a
Contact person: Alexandra von Hippel
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Antiracism, policy of integration
- Volunteers are welcome.
SELF Kassel (SELF = Self-confidently committed to learning and supporting - Support for immigrant students) was founded in 2009 and is the “home of education” for pupils in Kassel.
Under the motto "gaining a foothold through educational success", SELF Kassel supports pupils (with a migration background) from the 9th grade who are planning to attend or are already attending a secondary school.
The school system has many challenges and places great demands on all students.
Young people with a migration background have great potential, which they often can not fully exploit in Germany, however, as they have to master large language and integrative tasks. SELF supports students in their social and academic development, including individual counseling, tutoring, language development and the opportunity for social engagement.
We see ourselves as a network of pupils, students and experienced citizens: everyone who gets help, passes it on!
SELF Kassel advocates an equitable distribution of educational opportunities through individual support, personal contact and the furtherance of educational resources. What we offer is free of charge. Members who have received our support make their contribution to the success of club life through voluntary commitment.
Who we want to reach:
• Young people with a migrant background and special needs, who are in transition from middle school to high school or are already in upper secondary school, can receive support to successfully complete their Abitur (school leaving certificate) and entry into training or further studies.
• In addition, all interested parties have the opportunity to volunteer in a culturally diverse and exciting environment.
• Advice and quick help: personally, by phone, by e-mail, via the Internet
• Regular "open" member meetings (with dinner) for mutual exchange
• Mediation in voluntary service, internships, work camps, stays abroad
• Mentoring: Educational Mentors - High school students, students, graduates and other qualified, interested people are available in a network as a contact for school and possibly also for social problems. For their part, the education mentors are closely involved in the work of the association and receive intensive support.
• Educational monitoring: Accompaniment in the choice and organization of the educational path (specialization, advanced courses, additional qualifications, choice of study) as well as advice on scholarship applications
• case-by-case assistance: needy students can receive funding for the basic equipment for the upper secondary level (desk, computer, internet access, subsidy for the Abitur graduation trip, and the "Abiball")
• Cultural program and educational trips
Alexandra von Hippel is the CEO of SELF Kassel.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.