Right to Education Initiative (RTE)
c/o ActionAid International; 33-39 Bowling Green Lane
EC1R 0BJ London
Contact person: Sergio Rozalén
- Educational policy/project
- Human rights
The Charitable Incorporated Organisation "Right to Education Initiative (RTE)" is a global human rights organisation focusing on the right to education. Established in 2000 by the first UN Special Rapporteur on the right to education, Katarina Tomaševski, RTE was re-launched in 2008 as the "Right to Education Project", a collaborative initiative supported by ActionAid International, Amnesty International, Global Campaign for Education, Save the Children, and Human Rights Watch. Since May 2017 the Right to Education Initiative is a charity registered in England and Wales.
Our vision is a world where the right to education for all becomes a reality, from early childhood to adulthood and throughout life, on the basis of the principles of non-discrimination and equality. A world where education is recognised as a human right itself in law and in practice and where all human rights in and through education are realised.
• RTE promotes education as a human right, making international and national law accessible to everybody.
• We conduct research and legal analysis and we develop tools and guides to help understand and effectively use human rights mechanisms to claim and enforce the right to education.
• We build bridges between disciplines (human rights, education and development), actors (CSOs, international organisations, academics), and language communities, linking international, national and local advocacy with practical engagements leading to positive changes on the ground.
The object of RTE is to promote the right to education, as defined by international human rights law, by:
• Sharing information, tools and resources on the right to education;
• Researching into right to education issues;
• Monitor abuses of the right to education;
• Raise awareness on right to education issues;
• Providing technical advice to partner civil society organisations on right to education issues;
• International advocacy of the right to education; and
• Promoting respect for the right to education among individuals and corporations.
• Development of Human Rights Guiding Principles on the obligations of States regarding private schools
• Research project on the role of private actors in several countries exploring the links with declining public investment and the role of tax justice in providing solutions to the gaps generated by the privatisation of education.
• Monitoring the right to education using indicators http://www.right-to-education.org/monitoring/
• The 2030 Education Agenda from a human rights perspective
• The right to education of migrants, refugees and internally displaced persons
• Maintenance of the website across four languages
• Strengthening an online community of practice on a rights-based approach to education through an online discussion forum and blog
• Participating in civil society networks and coalitions aimed at ensuring the promoting and defending the right to education
• Providing trainings, lectures, and presentations on the right to education and RTE´s priority areas on an ad hoc basis
Sergio Rozalén is the Communications officer of the Right to Education Initiative (RTE).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.