Contact person: Sharon Silvey
+49 (0) 176 723 18123, +49 (0) 89 12089739
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Antiracism, policy of integration
- Volunteers are welcome.
RefuComm e.V. is a charity based in Munich with the mission to empower refugees by giving them knowledge, because knowledge is power.
Established in September 2015, RefuComm has been a precursor in identifying and investing in the access to information as a key need of asylum-seeking individuals in Europe. Asylum seekers’ lack of knowledge regarding their own rights and local asylum procedures, alongside perceived and actual language barriers, amplified the negative effects of the fragmented international and national response to the refugees’ inflow, the inconsistent application of international law, the slow asylum procedures and the growing political instability. The spreading of uncontrolled rumours increased the general confusion and exacerbated the exclusion of vulnerable groups, while exposing asylum seekers to greater risks of exploitation, abuse, and violations of fundamental human rights.
Our vision is for every displaced person in the world to have access to information about their rights and the asylum procedures.
Our mission is to empower people from the refugee community arriving in Europe by providing quality asylum procedural information in languages and formats that they prefer in a timely way that responds to the needs of the beneficiaries and the political situation in Europe.
• Provision of legal and procedural information pertaining to the asylum process
• Information provision and training aimed at volunteers working in the field of asylum
• Initiatives that aim at building cooperation with other actors directly or indirectly involved in the provision of asylum-related information
• Documentation (printed and published on Facebook page) of the Balkan route (map, walking distances separating consecutive journey legs served by bus or train, presence of medical/restoration/sanitation services along the route, security and safety advice, special information for unaccompanied minors, prices for journey legs, latest news on closing borders, safety advice)
• Support along the route, setting up supply chains, building of transit camps, creation of mother and baby room (Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Germany)
• Translation of the asylum procedure from Greek into English, Arabic, Farsi, Urdu
• Presence in Idomeni with information points
• Production and distribution of audios and (later) animated films on our website and our YouTube channel, shown in camps and published on our Facebook page
• Controlled research on information provision, best practice and comparison testing of different formats in collaboration with Translators Without Borders. Included comprehension testing to test literacy levels.
• Establishment of focus groups and interviews with 100 asylum seekers covering 4 languages to assess the effectiveness of the material and identify the asylum seekers’ information needs.
• Due to the increasing frustration caused by the unavailability of internet, distribution of information using SD cards
Sharon Silvey is the Director of RefuComm e.V..
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.