Perinet Gare 514
Ansprechpartner: Simon Trevenna
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
A Malagasy NGO that started as a grassroots community initiative founded in 1999, Association Mitsinjo works in conservation, nature-based tourism, and development (including agriculture and health). Located in Andasibe, one of the biodiversity hotspots of the eastern Madagascar rainforest corridor, Mitsinjo integrates the protection of prime habitat and the generation of sustainable income for the local population living in and around these areas.
In English “mitsinjo” translates to “look ahead”. It is this idea of protecting our future that dictates Mitsinjo’s approach to development.
• Water Tank installed at the Captive Breeding Facility: To ensure the Mitsinjo amphibian captive breeding and research facility has a constant supply we recently installed a 5,000 liter water tank.
• Human Health: Mitsinjo works with approximately 400 households to raise awareness and educate on issues like malaria, HIV/AIDS, and family planning. Other health problems such as malaria and diarrhea are dealt with via the subsidized distribution of mosquito nets and water purification kits, respectively.
• Frog Conservation Centre: Madagascar is ranked 12th in amphibian species richness by the IUCN, with more than 286 described frog species, over 99.5% of which are found nowhere else in the world. Andasibe is casually referred to as the frog capital of Madagascar, with over 100 species found within a 30 km radius of town. Tragically, at least 25% of the amphibian species in Madagascar are threatened with extinction, largely due to habitat loss. The potential threat of the amphibian chytrid fungus is also of grave concern. In response to this extinction crisis, Mitsinjo has established the first biosecure captive breeding facility for amphibians in Madagascar.
• Reforestation: Mitsinjo is replanting millions of native rainforest trees.
• Amphibian Chytrid Monitoring
Simon Trevenna is the Webmaster of the Association Mitsinjo.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.