Blue Ventures Conservation
39-41 North Road
N7 9DP Lonodon
Ansprechpartner: Alasdair Harris
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Blue Ventures Conservation, founded 2003, is a registered UK charity and an award-winning marine conservation organisation dedicated to conservation, education and sustainable development in tropical coastal communities.
Blue Ventures´ projects are focused in environmentally and culturally sensitive regions of the world. All project visitors are required to be aware that we are privileged guests in our host countries, towns and villages. We have a responsibility to minimise negative impacts on local environments and communities where we work, as well as to provide tangible benefits to our host communities. We have taken steps towards this in the following key areas:
• Working with communities
• Terrestrial impact
• Underwater impact
• Encouraging sustainable development
• Recognition of our commitment
We believe that with the right knowledge, developing coastal communities can live in harmony with their marine environments. Our purpose is to give coastal communities the knowledge and skills they need to live sustainably.
With our dynamic synergy of motivated volunteers and conservation expeditions, we can help local, coastal communities live more sustainably. Our conservation strategy is simple. We focus on innovating scalable economic incentives for marine conservation
Using these market-based tools, we champion a holistic approach to marine conservation, integrating:
• Fisheries management: Blue Ventures is developing new models for financing marine protected areas by demonstrating the economic advantages of responsible fisheries management, in partnership with fisheries supply chains and communities.
• Sustainable alternative livelihoods: As part of our integrated approach to marine conservation, Blue Ventures is pioneering new approaches to community-based aquaculture, providing local communities with lucrative and socially viable alternatives to fishing.
• Local capacity building: Blue Ventures´ strategy focuses on empowering coastal communities to manage their own resources, developing marine protection initiatives designed to sustain local fisheries and safeguard marine biodiversity. These initiatives have guided fisheries policy and legislation, and been replicated by coastal communities, NGOs, and government agencies across the coastline.
• Public health: In response to an unmet need for health care and health education, Blue Ventures is providing a range of health services, addressing reproductive health, maternal and child health, sanitation and hygiene practices and the provision of safe water. By integrating the delivery of these services into the portfolio of projects that Blue Ventures manages, we are able to achieve our health and conservation objectives more effectively.
• Social marketing for behaviour change: Conserving marine biodiversity means changing the way people interact with oceans. Blue Ventures uses innovative environmental education programmes to change the way people view their relationship with the sea. Through grassroots social marketing, Blue Ventures is working to change people´s attitudes and behaviour in favour of a sustainable future.
• Investing in people: Blue Ventures leverages its web presence to attract investment in education, training and capacity building in partner communities. Every year, we provide hundreds of fully funded scholarships to children to attend school, numerous university scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students, and dozens of residential training programmes for community members in field based conservation research and management.
Alasdair Harris is the Founder and Research Director of Blue Ventures.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.