ReefDoctor.Org Ltd, 14 Charlwood Terrace
SW15 1NZ London, Putney
Ansprechpartner: Roderick Stein-Rostaing
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
ReefDoctor is a small UK based, not-for-profit, Tropical Marine Conservation organisation, founded in 2000, conducting coral reef research, implementing marine resource management principles, community awareness and schools education and social development work with the local Vezo fishing communities of the Bay of Ranobe, South West Madagascar, part of the third largest coral reef system in the world belonging to the 32nd poorest country in the world.
Our core organisational objectives
• Practical and scientific research leading to effective education, conservation and social development
• To support and improve the welfare of populations that are largely dependant on the resources from coral reefs and associated marine environments
• To support community-led initiatives to develop sustainable marine management practices and conservation action plans
• To support the development of alternative diversified incomes away from the marine environment and its resources
• To promote and participate in the education of local communities, businesses and tourists
Our activities centre on three areas:
• Reef health research: ReefDoctor´s marine research programme focuses on standard survey techniques that provide reliable information on the status of coral reefs and seagrass meadows, and on artificial reef habitat experiments that might help the local community manage fishing resources within the Bay of Ranobe.
• Marine management: This programme focuses on assessing the past and current use of marine resources by the local community, exploring possible enhancements to current techniques and exploring alternative potential income from the reef.
• Community development: Community development involves all aspects of village life from education to alternative incomes and medical facilities to clean fresh water supplies.
Roderick Stein-Rostaing is the Director of ReefDoctor.Org Ltd.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.