The Bateleurs – Flying for the Environment in Africa
9 Woolston Rd, Westcliff
Ansprechpartner: Joan Cameron
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The Bateleurs, founded in 1998, is one of the largest environmental, flying, not-for-profit organisations in Africa.
The Bateleurs is an organisation primarily made up of pilots interested in protecting the environment by using their flying skills and aircraft to fly "stakeholders" over areas under threat. Our aim is to give decision-makers and other interested or vital parties an aerial perspective of the situation or problem they are assessing. The Bateleurs intend to make a difference to environmental and conservation projects. We aim to ensure our natural resources are used wisely and in safe hands.
Our missions include identifying illegal mining, roads and housing the Wild Coast, tracking cheetah, wild dog, leopard or elephant in various conservation areas, counting dugong, the giant sable or other rare species, and often assisting groups with aerial surveys that save their personnel hours or even days on the ground. A rigorous process is in place to review and approve (or not) all flight requests, to monitor missions, and to track all The Bateleurs activities.
Our Target Market
Any concerned individual, group or organisation may request a mission whether is to
• Educate Policy makers
• Expose Illegal Activities
• Inform and Update News Media
• Provide Diverse Educational Opportunities
• Inspire and Educate Young Leaders
• Transport and Track Wildlife
• Assist government departments
The Bateleurs intend to make a difference to how environmental or conservation projects and land and water usage is perceived.
Run by volunteers, the Section 21 company provides a co-ordination function, assessing the needs of environmental situations and organising flights over the area in question as and when needed. Personal and aircraft time is donated by members and sponsorship provides finance for fuel and oil.
The Bateleurs can be used...to educate...to lobby...to rescue.
The Bateleurs will fly to:
• Conserve and protect the earth`s diverse ecosystems
• Expose and reverse the unsustainable use and destructive human exploitation of the earth`s biotic resources
• Advocate land-use and natural resource policies that protect or restore life-sustaining ecosystems.
• Assist and empower others in their efforts to maintain a healthy and productive environment
Joan Cameron is the Office Administrator of the Bateleurs.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.