Yadkin Riverkeeper, Inc.
3846 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem NC 27101
Ansprechpartner: Dean Naujoks
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The Yadkin Pee Dee river basin is facing increasing pressures from development, habitat degradation and sedimentation. It is a resource for thousands of people in North Carolina, but is under threat. Yadkin Riverkeeper seeks to respect, protect and improve the Yadkin Pee Dee River Basin through education, advocacy and action. We are a non-profit environmental organization, founded in 2008 and funded by individuals and foundations who share our commitment to creating a clean and healthy river that sustains life and is cherished by its people.
Yadkin Riverkeeper seeks to accomplish the following:
• Sustain a RIVERKEEPER© program
• Measurably improve water quality
• Re-establish native biodiversity
• Preserve and enhance the forest canopy
• Bring legal action, if necessary, to enforce state and federal environmental laws
• Teach and practice a river ethic of ecological respect to all ages
Yadkin Riverkeeper is a licensed member of the Waterkeeper Alliance, which connects and supports local Waterkeeper programs to provide a united voice and to champion clean water issues around the world. Waterkeeper Alliance seeks to protect fishable, swimmable and drinkable waterways worldwide.
Yadkin Riverkeeper works to provide a clean and healthy river, whose benefits are shared in a sustainable and equitable way. The following programs are designed to protect the river and educate the public.
• Operation Medicine Cabinet: Operation Medicine Cabinet is a collaborative effort of law enforcement, health and safety, substance abuse prevention, environmental organizations and others. OMC has two goals: to stop pharmaceutical flushing that pollutes water and to eliminate unused medications unsafely stored in households, which can cause unintentional poisoning or be misappropriated.
• Tour de Yadkin
• River Protection Program : The Yadkin Riverkeeper River Protection Program sponsors a full-time Riverkeeper licensed by the National Waterkeeper® Alliance. The role of the Yadkin Riverkeeper is to protect water quality throughout the Yadkin River basin through routine patrols, analyzing sewage discharge permits, and working with regulators and elected officials to enforce compliance with the federal Clean Water Act and NC pollution control laws.
• The Yadkin River Story: It is a multimedia documentary project about a stretch of the Yadkin River near the East Bend and the people who have made the river a part of their lives.
• Muddy Water Watch: (MWW) is a state-wide initiative to reduce stormwater runoff from construction sites by providing training workshops and materials developed specifically for citizens.
• Floating Classroom: The goal of a Floating Classroom Program is to educate and motivate our youth to become more responsible stewards of our state`s water resources, not only by experiencing estuarine water quality research firsthand, but also by learning about the policy issues that affect estuarine health, and by understanding how each person can contribute to protection of our state`s public trust aquatic resources.
Dean Naujoks is the Riverkeeper and Executive Director of Yadkin Riverkeeper.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.