Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy (CMLC)
847 Case Street
NC 28792 Hendersonville
Contact person: Kieran Roe
- Environmental organization
- Environmental project
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
In 1994, Natural Heritage Trust of Henderson County was formed. A year later, the name was changed to Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy (CMLC).
CMLC is a non-profit conservation organization working to preserve water and land resources in Western North Carolina. CMLC is an example of a land trust, or an organization that engages in conservation efforts through acquisition of deeded land and conservation and farm easements.
The Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy works with various sectors of society including businesses, individuals, communities, partner organizations, and government agencies to achieve its goals. CMLC uses a mix of financial incentives along with the good will of conservation minded land owners to preserve land from development.
Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy has pioneered the use of conservation easements in Henderson and Transylvania Counties. A conservation easement is a way for land owners to ensure that their land remains in its natural state while capitalizing on some of the land's potential development value. CMLC also works with the North Carolina Division of State Parks and other government partners to acquire land for sites such as Chimney Rock State Park.
• Provides technical resources that help landowners tailor conservation easements that suit individual needs.
• Serves Henderson, Transylvania, and parts of neighboring counties.
• Protects forested wilderness, working farms, clean drinking water, healthy fishing streams, native wildlife, and sweeping views.
• Partners with private landowners, community visionaries, and estate management professionals, to conserve land and maximize financial benefits through the use of voluntary land protection agreements, land donations and purchases.
• Monitors protected properties to ensure that the conservation values of the land are forever maintained.
• Raises awareness about the practice of land conservation for future generations.
CMLC works every day to create a network of protected farm, forest, park and natural lands. Within our service region, which includes Henderson, Transylvania and parts of neighboring counties, we concentrate our efforts on three main focus areas:
• DuPont Forest and the Upper Green River Watershed
• Hickory Nut Gorge and Chimney Rock State Park
• Upper French Broad River Watershed.
Kieran Roe is the Executive Director of Carolina Mountain Land Conservancy (CMLC).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.