First African Bicycle Information Organization (FABIO)
P.O. BOX 1890; Plot 9 Main Street
Ansprechpartner: Nils Thormann, Kayemba Patrick
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
First African Bicycle Information Organization (FABIO) is a not for profit, non governmental organization that believes in utilizing non-motorized transport as a vital tool for sustainable development. FABIO started in 1997 as a capacity building arm of the Bicycle Sponsorship Project but later registered as FABIO and started working independently.
Vision: A society where all people can access and use environmentally friendly, affordable and sustainable means of transportation to achieve an improved quality of life.
Mission: To empower people by creating access to bicycles, providing quality information, imparting skills and knowledge on issues of development and advocating issues of non-motorized mobility to achieve human rights and development goals.
• Bicycle Rentals (for tourists): FABIO earns a little income that goes into their projects by 100% and a change of image of the bicycle.
• Cycle to School Initiative: The aim of this project is to enable accessibility of bicycles to students in particular schools to improve on their academic performance through reduced distance to and from schools.
• Bicycle for Peace Project in the North Eastern Uganda– Katakwi: This project aims at availing bicycle to IDP returnees as a social- economic tool with in their homesteads. These bicycles are used by the returnees in accessing health care services, market for their agricultural products, education, mobilizing and building social village networks.
• Healthcare Project: FABIO in partnership with ITDP-Europe embarked on combining transport and communication to improve the health conditions of the communities. A combination of bicycle Ambulances, mobile phones and motorcycle ambulances plus capacity building, have contributed a lot to the emerging health cases especially in the maternal health sector.
• Climate Change and Environment: FABIO has advocated for Integration of climate change issues into development planning. FABIO has established a data bank where information regarding issues of climate change are developed, collected, stored and shared. FABIO is also promoting cycling caravans across the country such that the public develops a positive attitude towards cycling in an effort to comb the effects of climate change.
• Bicycle credit Initiative and accessibility for improved quality of life: Involves accessing low income communities, groups and individuals with bicycles on a cost sharing or reduced or full credit especially among the women and boda boda taxi riders for economic development. FABIO provides training and sensitization for beneficiary groups in issues of group dynamics, bicycle maintenance, organizational development, savings, and credit and enterprise development.
• Bus rapid transit system (BRT): FABIO has/is still championing efforts towards the realization of introducing BRT as an effective sustainable transport system in the city.
• Bicycle Advocacy and Lobby (NMT)
• Pressure from Below (PFB) Community initiative in Jinja: With closer technical support from FABIO, PfB aims at mobilizing the citizens to challenge the quality of services delivery mainly through public dialogues, debates, forum theatre and what is popularly known as open day people’s manifesto.
Kayemba Patrick is the Programme’s Director of FABIO.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.