Action for a healthy planet
3921 East Bayshore Road
CA 94303-4303 Palo Alto
Ansprechpartner: Michael Closson
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Acterra is an environmental non-profit serving the Silicon Valley. Acterra was founded in 1970. We provide people with tangible, hands-on activities they can do to improve the environment.
All of our work is solution-oriented. We offer several thousand volunteer opportunities each year for adults and youth. Because people get excited by different things, we offer a broad range of programs, from habitat restoration to carbon reduction and more. As importantly, we teach people how to become effective environmental change agents in their communities, neighbourhoods, workplaces and schools. In addition to empowering thousands of people here in Silicon Valley, our programs serve as models that others can emulate elsewhere.
Acterra has a diversity of programs that bring people together to create local solutions for a healthy planet.
• Be the Change: The Be the Change environmental leadership program trains emerging leaders in the skills needed to take action within the places where they work, live, worship, and play to "green" our world from the inside out.
• Business Environmental Awards (BEA): The Business Environmental Awards recognizes and celebrates Bay Area corporate environmental leaders.
• Climate Heroes: Climate Heroes recognizes individuals or groups of people who have gone to great lengths to reduce the carbon emissions within their community.
• Green@Home: Green@Home program helps communities take action to reduce global warming by making their homes more energy efficient. Green@Home trains volunteers, provides home energy audits and creates awareness of sustainable living practices.
• High Energy Homes Project: The High Energy Homes project was developed to help residents in homes with very high utility usage to find cost-effective, "low hanging fruit" that can reduce their energy bills and carbon emissions.
• Stewardship Program: The Stewardship program provides opportunities for individuals and groups to learn about ecology, have fun, and participate in restoration work.
• Fiduciary Programs: Acterra provides fiscal sponsorship for a number of diverse and exciting programs.
Living green is healthier, more ethical and ultimately more fun, but it is not always easy. Fortunately, there are many organizations, products and services out there to help.
Acterra's Find Answers is a directory of resources, many local, that can show you how to live more sustainably.
Michael Closson is the Executive Director of Acterra.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.