Lakota Language Consortium (LLC)
2620 N. Walnut St., Suite 1280
IN 47408 Bloomington, Indiana
Ansprechpartner: Wilhelm Meya
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The Lakota Language Consortium (LLC) founded in 2004 is a nonprofit organization made up of Native community leaders, linguists and volunteers. Its primary mission is the complete revitalization of the Lakota language, one of only a small handful of Native American languages left that has a significant chance of survival.
Our vision is:
• to provide every Lakota child with the means to become a speaker of Lakota as a first language within the home, or as a fluent second-language speaker from school;
• to ensure that the language is used every household of the reservation, and that children are raised at an ever-increasing rate as first language speakers;
• a full and vibrant linguistic and literary community that develops in the language through numerous avenues, both in and out of school; and
• to support the Lakota language as it grows in usage and complexity, and remains vital within a range of genres and purposes.
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation, revitalization, and promotion of the Lakota language, LLC asserts that the language is a unique and valuable living expression of the culture, a linguistic legacy and tradition worth preserving and developing.
To achieve this mission, LLC provides a wide range of pedagogical and technical support to help schools and communities save the language. Working within close access to 20,000 Lakota children, we produce needed textbooks, computer-based multimedia materials, classroom visual aids, and provide teacher training to schools. Our curricula are designed to create linguistic proficiency in Lakota among students after five years and fluency after an eight-year sequence of classes. Separate curricula for Lakota are devised for each grade, pre-school through college.
LLC also works to promote activities in Lakota communities that support the use of the language. We have successfully established a Lakota language radio show, and future plans include language camps, cultural events, and media activities. We also carry out national and international fund raising and public relation campaigns to support the primary activities of the organization, and to promote a wider awareness of the acute problem of Native language loss in North America.
The LLC is an organization with broad support among Lakota community members and linguists, all working together to bring back the Lakota language. LLC now provides Lakota language materials to over 35 affiliate schools and institutions, serving thousands of students throughout the Dakotas. LLC is working hard to make sure that the future is bright for the Lakota language. We are producing new textbook levels, dictionaries, and many other programs. We are also working energetically to expand our capacity to further achieve our revitalization goals
Wilhelm Meya is the Executive Director of LLC.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance and establish new contacts in the field of our work.