Advocacy Forum (AF)
Shantiniketan Marg 94/14, Gairidhara
Contact person: Mandira Sharma
- Human rights
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
Advocacy Forum (AF) is a leading non-profit, non-governmental organization working to promote the rule of law and uphold international human rights standards in Nepal.
stablished in 2001, AF takes proactive measures to combat the pervasive culture of impunity that has been thriving for decades in the country by systematically documenting human rights violations/abuses, filing lawsuits against perpetrators, lobbying the state for institutional and legal reforms, providing psychosocial and legal aid to victims and monitoring government detention facilities. Our approach is victim-centric and we act as a catalytic force to bring the voices of the victims to the fore.
Our vision is to establish a just Nepali society with effective mechanisms ensuring fair and accessible justice to all.
• To provide legal aid to the victims of human rights violations, including children suffering from impacts of armed conflict, and juveniles in detention center.
• To undertake systematic monitoring and documentation of human rights violations.
• To promote comprehensive transitional justice mechanisms.
• To advocate for the reforms of legislations.
• To combat impunity.
• To work to prevent torture.
• Documentation and Monitoring of Human Rights: Visits to detention center, fact-finding trips, documenting cases of human rights violations; monitoring the functioning police and administrative bodies.
• Emblematic cases: Taking up emblematic cases help to bring concerted, coordinated and sustained pressures in these cases both nationally and internationally.
• Focused Policy Advocacy: Research-based advocacy aiming at reform of policies and laws to comply with international standards and practices.
• Capacity Building of Local Organizations: Capacity building measures (skills training, workshops, exchanges and so on) to enhance the organizational and leadership capacity of the relevant stakeholders.
• Legal Aid: Legal aid involves legal advice and counselling, legal representation, bringing cases on behalf of victims of human rights violations both at national level and internationally.
We have five well-resourced thematic departments:
• Criminal Justice Department
• Transitional Justice Department
• Prevention of Torture Department
• HR Documentation and Monitoring Department
• Child Rights Monitoring and Juvenile Justice Department
Mandira Sharma is one of the founder of the Advocacy Forum (AF).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.