WESSA Wildlife and Environment Society of SA
PO Box 394, 1 Karkloof Road
3290 Howick, KwaZulu-Natal
Ansprechpartner: Eve Holliday
Founded in 1926, the Wildlife and Environment Society of SA is one of South Africa's oldest and largest non-government, membership-based environmental organisations. WESSA maintains a watchful eye on the South African environment through its extensive network of Regional Offices , Branches , Friends Groups and Environmental Clubs.
We embrace professionalism and sound corporate governance, fostering collaborative partnerships to succeed in our Mission. With enthusiasm and a spirit of unity, we work to achieve a South Africa that is wisely managed by all to ensure environmental sustainability.
Our aim is to contribute to conserving the Earth’s vitality and diversity by:-
• promoting sound environmental values and sustainable living
• integrating conservation and development
• encouraging individual and community action
• securing the protection and wise use of natural resources
• acting as an environmental watchdog
• promoting and participating in environmental education
• influencing policy and decision-making
• responding to changing needs.
Areas of Involvement:
Part of the WESSA conservation strategy is the need to preserve natural systems for the benefit of the environment and future generations
WESSA aims to respond to the following broad categories of Environmental Issues and Risks:
• Biodiversity Loss
• Energy and related issues
• Policy development and implementation including National and International Laws and Conventions
• Waste and Water Management
• Climate Change (As cross-cutting theme)
• Social Issues
There are various sections of Environmental Education within WESSA. These aim at national support and capacity building and include:
• Eco-Schools (school-based environmental education),
• SADC Regional Environmental Education Programme (our regional programme),
• Share-Net (learning support materials), and SustainEd (accredited training).
Associated Programmes include:
• Energy and Sustainability (E&S) (Energy saving and alternatives) and
• Out-of-the-Box (Science Materials for Schools).
Eve Holliday is a member of the Marketing Department of WESSA.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.