PO Box 44, Observatory
7935 Cape Town
Ansprechpartner: Rob Small
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Abalimi founded in 1982/83, is a Voluntary Association and registered as a Non Profit Organisation (NPO) with the Department of Social Development. Abalimi is a Civil Society Organization (CSO) working to empower the disadvantaged through urban agriculture and environmental programmes and projects.
Abalimi is an urban agriculture and environmental action association operating in the socio-economically neglected townships of Khayelitsha, Nyanga and surrounding areas on the Cape Flats near Cape Town, South Africa.
Abalimi means: "the Planters/the farmers" in Xhosa, the predominant language among our target community.
We assist individuals, groups and community based organisations to initiate and maintain permanent organic food growing and nature conservation projects as the basis for sustainable lifestyles, self-help job creation, poverty alleviation and environmental renewal.
Abalimi assists by providing the following support services:
• Project implementation: Planning, implementation and support for community projects.
• Agricultural and horticultural commodities: Supply of low cost bulk agriculture and horticultural inputs to the community from the Peoples’ Garden Centres plus marketing of produce outside of the townships via the Harvest of Hope pack shed and marketing system.
• Training: Vegetable gardening, horticulture and nutrition courses, Integrated Land Use Design (ILUD) workshops.
• Organisation building: To empower emerging groups to become independent.
• Facilitation of partnerships: To maximise all-round service delivery to target group.
• Research, planning monitoring and evaluation: To assist with planning and implementation of community garden projects and to improve practice, delivery and sustainability.
• Financial and organisational sustainability for Abalimi
Rob Small is a Co-Director of Abalimi.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.