Transitions Foundation of Guatemala
P.O. Box 669004 (A-146)
FL 33266 Miami Springs
Ansprechpartner: Alex Galvez
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Transitions Foundation of Guatemala is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improve the lives of Guatemalans with disabilities and was co-founded in 1998 by a North American and a Guatemalan.
Transitions strives to empower Guatemalans with disabilities by offering programs dedicated to rehabilitation, health education, social integration, capacity building, leadership training, employment opportunities and the fabrication and distribution of mobility equipment.
Transitions advocates for the rights and social inclusion of Guatemalans with disabilities by not only focusing on health promotion in the conventional sense, but by also providing access to social development programs, mobility equipment and opportunities for independent living that promote human dignity.
Currently, Transitions operates six different programs dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities:
• Wheelchair Workshop: We operate a well-equipped workshop where we manufacture new wheelchairs and repair or modify existing ones.
• Prosthetic & Orthotic Clinic: Transitions operates a clinic to provide services to children and adults who are in need of a prosthetic limb or an orthotic leg brace.
• Print Shop: Transitions operates a small graphic arts, desktop publishing, and offset printing enterprise. The print shop functions both as a disabilities job-training program and an income-generating project.
• Special Education Program: The program was initiated as a response to the local community’s need to educate its children with special needs. The special education classroom now serves over a dozen students each year, providing them with the specialized one-on-one instruction that they need to become more independent in their daily lives.
• Educational Scholarship: These scholarships cover costs such as tuition, classroom materials, and transportation to and from school. The Educational Scholarship Program also provides assistance to core disabled leaders in the Transitions team, helping them advance to succeeding levels of higher education.
• Sports & Recreation: Transitions’ Sports and Recreation program works with our participants to encourage active and healthy lifestyles.
Alex Gálvez is the Executive Director of the Transitions Foundation of Guatemala.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, deliver a lecture, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.