Contact person: Manuela Diegmann
- Aid for developing countries
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
The non-profit-making association Dindingo-Gambia was founded in Erfurt in 2001. The purpose of the association is to promote sustainable development and education. We are involved in village development and local community work in Gambia, and education in international understanding and awareness and the politics of development aid in Germany.
We aim to achieve this by:
• supporting pre-school/kindergarten projects and youth facilities in Gambia (West Africa),
• organising and carrying through educational opportunity projects for children and young people in Gambia,
• promoting income-generating measures and self-supporting structures in local communities,
• promoting the training and further education of project staff as well as the qualification of staff and voluntary workers in education and youth work,
• organising and carrying through provisions in the area of development aid politics education and intercultural education in Germany,
• raising funds to finance the projects by publicity, donation campaigns, sponsorships and the acquisition of subsidies.
The idea of supporting the pre-school/kindergarten in Mandinaba arose out of contacts with students who had done voluntary work there, and private visits to Gambia. Our common goal is that through the development of income-generation measures, the potential of the local population will be tapped and the project will be increasingly self-supporting. The association finances the teachers’ salaries and the running costs of the pre-school, such as school lunches and maintenance. In addition, we seek to awaken interest in development aid by networking, school sponsorship schemes, and opportunities for voluntary work.
Members of the association visit the project at least once a year. Voluntary workers make an important contribution, and are supported by the association, sometimes for several months, while they work in Mandinaba.
Manuela Diegmann is committee member and treasurer of the association.
On request, we can offer other net participants advice and a presentation. We can pass on up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.