Free Speech TV
P.O. Box 44099
Denver, CO 80201
Ansprechpartner: Don Rojas
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Launched in 1995, Free Speech TV is an independent, publicly-supported, non-profit TV multi-platform digital media pioneer. Using both television and the Internet, Free Speech TV inspires viewers to become civically engaged to build a more just, equitable, and sustainable society. Free Speech TV is owned and operated by Public Communicators, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit, tax-exempt organization, founded in 1974.
Free Speech TV was founded in 1995, but its roots extend back to The 90´s public television show and The 90´s Channel on cable television, both of which were founded in 1989. From 1995 to 2000, Free Speech TV provided weekly programming via videotape to a network of 50 community cable channels. In 2000, Free Speech TV launched the first national progressive television network when it was awarded a full-time satellite channel on DISH Network as a result of an FCC policy to set aside 4% of satellite channels for public interest channels.
Proud highlights of the past years include:
• the birth of the Indymedia movement at Seattle WTO ministerial (1999);
• live coverage of the presidential elections (2000, 2008)
• launch of Democracy Now! as a daily television program (2001);
• early coverage of the anti-war movement following the tragedy of 9/11 (2001-present);
• production of the SourceCode series (2004-2007);
• broadcast of the Winter Soldier Hearings (2008);
• coverage of the National Conference for Media Reform (2008);
• launch of GRITtv with Laura Flanders (2008); and
• the pilot episode of The Tipping Point with Roseanne Barr & Johnny Argent (2009).
Free Speech TV is in the early process of re-imagining its future, with a greater embrace of digital distribution and social media. With its partners in the field, Free Speech TV is pioneering new means of creating and sharing progressive media. This process will, by its nature, be one of continual innovation, evolution, and collaboration. Free Speech TV invites its viewers, producers, partners and allies to join the organization in writing the next bold, surprising, ground-breaking chapter in its ever-unfolding story. Same unwavering commitment to mission; new sets of tools to fulfill it.
Don Rojas is the Executive Director fo Free Speech TV.
For other net participants we can offer expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.