Community Action for Rural Development (CARDS)
68-D, Adhil Complex, Gandhi Bazaar
Gingee-604202, Villupurami Dist., Tamil Nadu
Ansprechpartner: Williams, A. John
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Frauenpolitik/feministisches Projekt
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Community Action for Rural Development Society (CARDS) is a non-governmental, social service organisation formed by educated people of the deprived community. Its development activities are centered around the downtrodden and oppressed people of backward villages in Gingee and Vallam Blocks of Villupuram District, Tamil Nadu. CARDS' projects are:
- Child Development: The activities include campaign for immunisation, enrollment campaign, supplementary education, child labour elimination and special care for children with disabilities.
- Technical Education for Youth: CARDS excels other institutions by giving efficient Technical Education for the school dropouts, poor and needy young boys and girls. It has well versed resource personnel to teach the interested candidates on servicing house-hold electrical items and also audio and video equipment.
- Women Development: Women's contribution for development form a major share but they have little resources to call their own. They are deprived and denied of their rights to life, development, protection and participation. CARDS is striving to get them organised into self help groups and provide a learning atmosphere so that they become aware of the root causes of deprivation and denial and take proactive role to secure their rights.
- Small and Marginal Farmers Association: With small land holdings, the small and marginal farmers are faced with multitude of problems. The efforts to equip them with knowledge and skills on rotation of crops, multiple crops, water management and working out the feasibility's of cooperative farming are being taken up. Through non-formal & continuing education, they shall be trained to develop their management skills on regular and continuous basis.
- Cultural Programme: CARDS has a sound cultural team comprising of 10 volunteers. The team goes to village to village for building awareness among the people on area-specific issues and problems through means of folk media.
- Linking People with Services: Most of the rural people are non-literates and unaware of the welfare measures meant for them. CARDS as a facilitating body, strives to link the disadvantaged people with services. The Persons with Disabilities, are linked up with District Rehabilitation Services, the aged get the supportive pensions, the widows and parents of low-caste people are assisted to avail educational sponsorship for their children, the small and marginal farmers are linked up with the Block Development Office for availing agricultural implements and subsidies in procuring seeds, saplings, fertilizers and pesticides, the young people are oriented about the possibilities of going in for higher education or vocational education.
For other net participants we can establish new contacts in the field of our work.