Freundeskreis Tambacounda e.V.
Verein zur Vermittlung afrikanischen Kulturgutes e.V.
Am Kleinen Felde 21
Contact person: Abdou Karim Sané
+49 (0)511 161 26 12
+49 (0)511 161 26 12
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Volunteers are welcome.
Since Abdou Karim Sané founded „Friends of Tambacounda together with some of his colleagues in 1992, the association has supported development projects in Tambacounda, Senegal. From the outset, the mission was to organise educational projects which would give the people of Tambacounda new hope and would strengthen the region in the long term. Our work is based on the understanding that education is the prerequisite for a self-determined life. We are a non party-political, non-denominational and non-governmental organization.
• The "Centre": In order to create new educational perspectives for Tambacounda, in 2003 we started the construction of an education centre. Today, the Centre d'Energie Solaire, d'Hygiene et de Formation Professionnelle is considered a model project for educational work in the region - it is also a showcase for ecological construction and the use of solar energy.
• Association work in Germany: In Hannover, we are involved in intercultural education and raising awareness of African cultural assets. In doing so, we want to sensitize people of all ages to cultural differences and to encourage them to abandon any prejudices they may have about Africa. We focus on the mediation of a differentiated image of Africa.
Projects in Tambacounda / Senegal:
• Construction of a solar and hygiene centre. This creates environmental awareness in that it raises consciousness of our dependence on nature and the use of renewable energy. The centre also serves as a training and education centre.
• Installation of dry toilets and natural wastewater treatment. Advantages are: technically uncomplicated, cost-effective, ecological and hygienic.
• Rehabilitation of elementary school Sada Maka Sy. The building was renovated and a school wall was built. In 1998, a solar water pump was sent to the school and solar modules were installed to bring light to the classrooms.
• In 2003, around 30 beds and 40 mattresses were sent to the hospital in Tambacounda in collaboration with the Hanoverian-Philippine association Hands.
• The Wheelchairs for the Needy Project, 1996: transfer of walking aids, wheelchairs, bandages and other aids to the hospital in Tambacounda.
• In 1995, we collected 120 bicycles and sent them to Tambacounda.
Projects of the association in Hannover / Germany:
• Project "Africa makes progress": Teaching a differentiated image of Africa and Europe in cooperation with various schools in Hannover and Tambacou.
• Health: Workshops and education on human rights violations such as "female genital mutilation"
• Integration: the Table of Cultures that emerged in the run-up to the UN World Conference against Racism. The goal is to improve the integration and coexistence of different nationalities.
• Integration work for migrants at district level
Abdou Karim Sané is the founder of Friends of Tambacounda
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.