Duars Alternative Medical Research Institute (DAMRI)
Udayan Bitan, Suryanagar, Alipurduar Court
736 122 Alipurduar, West Bengal
Ansprechpartner: Aloke Bhowmik
+91 (0)3564-259050; +91 9434257983
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
The Duars Alternative Medical Research Institute (DAMRI), established in 1996, focuses on child education, family counselling, and operates creches and balwadis in the rural and urban areas of Alipurduar and Jalpaiguri districts in West Bengal. We are running reproductive & child health programmes and sustainable livelihood development programmes.
Its vision is a empowered, homogeneous, health sharing and caring community of people working together for better quality of life.
The mission is to improve the well-being of less privileged communities by generating awareness on health, education, livelihood and basic rights among rural people and enhance their knowledge through skill development.
• Facilitating ownership in the development process.
• Organize and promote integrated sustainable development approach, which ensure livelihood.
• Promote & support gender empowerment & mainstreaming process.
• Mainstreaming the distress & vulnerable.
• Create conducive environment for healthy life.
• Relief support and assist for peace building.
• Create home for helpless children, boys & girls for their better future.
• To do all social welfare activities like sanitation, safe drinking water, human anti-trafficking & others.
• Health Programs: DAMRI focuses on providing handicapped materials to disabled persons. They organized a materials distribution camp at Alipurduar. Ambulance services operate under Public Private Partnership (PPP) with support of District Health and Family Welfare Samity, Jalpaiguri. Services are provided free to pregnant mothers and infants. DAMRI organizes awareness on HIV/AIDS among adolescents and young people.
• Special School for Child Laborers: The organization operates three schools for children aged 9 to 14 years working in different jobs. Mid-day meals are provided at these schools.
• Family Counselling Center (FCC): DAMRI provides counselling and rehabilitative services to women victims who are in mortal danger and to families who are affected by disputes and marital discord. They provide counselling, home visits and give legal support free of cost.
• Rajiv Gandhi National Crèche Center: With support of the Central Social Welfare Board, DAMRI runs crèches and day care centers at Kalkut and Majherdabri for forest villagers´ children aged 5 years or less. The services provided include sleeping facilities, pre-primary education, healthcare, supplementary nutrition, and immunization.
• Balwadi Center: A Balwadi Center for children aged 3-7 years is run at Alipurduar. The children are occupied with creative activities like drawing, painting, craft work, music, dance and games.
• Awareness Programs: DAMRI organizes various awareness and advocacy campaigns for school children and community members regarding adverse effects of pollution, deforestation, and use of plastic. They also organize training in vermin compost and kitchen gardening.
Aloke Bhowmik is the Chief Functionary of the Duars Alternative Medical Research Institute (DAMRI).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.