1, Priyankit, Lokmanya Colony, Opp. Vanaz. Pune
411 038 Pune
Ansprechpartner: Deshpande, Vasant
- Gemeinschaft, Gemeindeprojekt
- Frauenpolitik/feministisches Projekt
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
Sadhana Village, Pune, is a voluntary organisation. Its mission is to work on an innovative project for the care and rehabilitation of mentally challenged adults, adults with special needs, we call them Special Friends (SFs, for short). Sadhana gives them a loving home to live in, self respect and dignity, and freedom to move around at will, with dedicated house parents and co-workers. They also become a part of the exciting life in the rural communities around.
Sadhana Village started its work in Kolwan Valley 30 kms off Pune City, Masharashtra, India in 1994. It has experienced co-workers, dedicated trustees, and support groups in Pune and Mumbai.
In its work for the SFs, Sadhana Village has been inspired by the Camphill Movement; the Camphill Village, Copake in particular. It receives no government grants for its activities.
Some objectives are:
- Work therapy: The Special Friends have many occupations at the Centre. Social Therapy informs all these activities. A healthy emotional bond is promoted among the SFs in the Village throughout their work in the garden; in the craftshop or the candle shop; in the paperbag making activity or the art therapy sessions. This bond is deepened with the humane interventions of the houseparents, coworkers and the volunteers. At a wider level, working with and participating in festivals with the members of the community outside the Village has a gratifying creative experience for the SFs..
- Integration with rural families: Sadhana Village does not intend to be an island in the valley around it. It has been involved in holistic development of the valley with selective interventions. The results till date have been encouraging. The young people who pass the road near our Centre no more pelt stones at our SFs or call them `mad` as they used to afew years back. They now enter into the Centre for getting their bicycles fixed or air filled into the tubes. They even share the hall with the SFs to enjoy a magic show or the drum Circle presented by the SFs.
For other net participants we can offer overnight facilities. Further we can give an expert guidance through trained staff and give an expert opinion in the field of rural area development. Also we can offer the planning for rehabilitation of the disabled.