CanSupport - Caring for People with Cancer
Kanak Durga Basti Vikas Kendra Sector 12 R. K. Puram
New Delhi - 110022
Contact person: Ambika Rajvanshi
+91-11-26102851; +91-11-26102869 ; +91-11-26102869
- Aid organization
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
CanSupport, a registered non-profit organization, was founded by Harmala Gupta in 1996. It grew out of her personal experience as a cancer survivor and as a support person for others. In 1991, Harmala had started the first cancer support group in India, Cancer Sahyog. She along with fellow survivors and caregivers began visiting cancer clinics in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and the Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital (IRCH) in Delhi to provide information, practical help and an empathetic listening ear.
Our vision is that of a caring and supportive society where people with cancer and their families live with dignity, hope and comfort.
Our mission is to enable people with advanced cancer and their families to make informed choices and decisions and to receive appropriate physical, emotional, social and spiritual support
CanSupport provides home care - palliative care to patients with cancer. As most people prefer the comfort of their home, when their cancer advances we send teams of doctors, nurses and counselors to their homes in and around New Delhi to provide the care and support that they need.
Home Care Field Service:
• CanSupport´s home-based palliative care program is the pioneering model in North India directed at patients suffering from advanced and terminal cancer. Home care is CanSupport´s core program.
• Outpatients Clinic (OPC): CanSupport has 2 OPCs running successfully. CanSupport´s First Outpatients Clinic was started in May 2013 in GTB Enclave in East Delhi in response to a need felt for extending palliative and supportive care beyond the ambit of home visits, reaching out to patients who were mobile and/or were receiving active curative therapies in hospitals. Looking at the increasing need, a Second Outpatients Clinic was started in South Delhi near the AIIMS & Safdarjung Hospitals in April, 2105.
• Children´s Day Care
• Adult Day Care
• Knowledge, Training, Education and Research: Capacity building of CanSupport Filed Staff; Education and training in palliative care for people outside CanSupport;
• Telephone Helpline: The helpline provides information and emotional support to callers as well as facilitates networking and coordination with care/service providers for callers´ cancer-related needs.
• Events and other highlights: World Hospice and Palliative Care Day; National Cancer Day; Walk for Life – Stride against Cancer, CanSupport Futsal Challenge.
Ambika Rajvanshi is the CEO of CanSupport.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.