SHRADDHA CHARITABLE TRUST
14-19, Mahalaxmi Municipal School Bldg., 3rd Floor, B. Desai Road,
400 026 Mumbai
Ansprechpartner: Arti Sarvaiya
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Shraddha Charitable Trust, a registered non-profit vocational workshop founded in 1998, empowers and rehabilitates severely autistic and mentally challenged young adults and enables them to earn a living. By handcrafting and selling tastefully designed and internationally appreciated ecofriendly products, Shraddha provides a means of livelihood and support for those that are often assumed to lead a dependent life.
Shraddha adopts a pioneering and creative approach where young adults with autism and developmental delay are encouraged and assisted to take small steps towards self-sufficiency. After graduating from the SPJ Sadhana school, our young adults are trained to master simple skills such as sticking, folding, plastering, beading, moulding, etc. With continuous practice they gradually adjust to the training and become eager workers in groups.
With the one-on-one help of special educators and caring volunteers, their latent and rudimentary skills are explored to develop a wide range of artistic and environment friendly lifestyle items. The product development process is broken down into tasks that they can manage. The nature of these activities coupled with intensive therapeutic and rehabilitation routine enhances special skills, concentration, retention and social interaction, which are the biggest challenges faced by these young individuals. These simple daily activities provide routine, increase confidence and allow the trainees to experience a sense of accomplishment that goes a long way in encouraging them to live their lives with dignity. This in turn brightens up the lives of all those connected with them. The proceeds from the sale of these products go to them in the form of a monthly remuneration.
Besides having a strong brand in India, over the years, Shraddha has attracted an international patronage and supplied products to clients in America, Europe and Asia.
• Livelihood and income earning: Shraddha´s young adults are now income earning members of their families. Over the years, accelerated increase in sales of products and diversity of the product portfolio has resulted in a ten-fold improvement in their monthly wages.
• Occupational Therapy: The occupational therapy received by beneficiaries, along with the production process of handicrafts, develops their motor and sensory perception skills, hand-eye coordination, attention and calmness. The intensive therapeutic and rehabilitation routine enhances special skills, concentration, retention and social interaction, which are the biggest challenges faced by these individuals
• Self confidence and Social: Working at Shraddha and the monthly stipend received increases their self confidence, their ability to interact with others, and their emotional intelligence. It has improved their relationship with their families and has earned them respect and independence. This has been proved repeatedly through the feedback we receive from their families.
• Environmental Impact: Shraddha´s guiding philosophy is Recycle, Reuse and Reduce. Majority of products are eco-friendly. Shraddha has spared no effort in minimizing carbon footprint by making judicious use of natural and man-made resources.
Arti Sarvaiya is the Public Relation Officer of the Shraddha Charitable Trust.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.