Cuba-Solidarität Würzburg e.V.
Contact person: Michael Meyer
- Aid organization
- Commune, community project
- Volunteers are welcome.
Cuba Solidarity Würzburg was founded in 1993, after a terrible hurricane swept over the island in March of that year. Cuba found itself in a very difficult situation in the early nineties. The loss of almost all trading partners (85% of Cuba's trade was with the then RGW countries) the USA's economic blockade, and then the enormous damage to agriculture and buildings as a result of the hurricane. The non profit organisation Cuba Solidarity Würzburg is there to support the Cuban people in this difficult situation.
• Apart from various aid campaigns to bring medicines and medical equipment to Cuba, we took part in a nationwide Solidarity Caravan, which loaded a ship in Bremen with goods for Cuba.
• Together with the Nürnberg group ‘Sol Cuba‘ we supported various solar power projects in the Sierra Maestra. As a result of this, close contacts developed between our group, the Cuban places and individual people who reported the current problems in Cuba to us.
• The solar projects provide solar energy plants to kindergartens, doctors and community centres in mountain villages without an electricity supply. In this we work together with the C.I.E.S (Scientific Solar Energy Centre) in Santiago de Cuba, with the ICAP Havana (Institute for International Friendship) and with the NGO CubaSolar.
• Since 1994, 20 doctors, community centres and kindergartens have been supplied with solar energy plants. The cost of a plant (including electrical equipment such as refrigerators, radios etc.) amounts to up to 7000 €. In 2006 our funds were used to install two solar powered drinking water plants for the first time in eastern Cuba.
• Installation of solar panels in Batey El Toro
• Refurbishment of the kindergarten MI PELUSIN
• Refurbishment of the kindergarten PALOMITA BLANCA
• Charity Concert Mainart 2012 - "Morocco meets Cuba" LOS 4 DEL SON: proceeds to solar panels in Batey El Torro
• Cuban Night with Los 4 del Son: Proceeds to kindergarten Mi Pelusin
• Information and publicity work about the situation in Cuba, its political and cultural life as well as global relationships.
• Education: e.g. seminars on the above mentioned topics.
Michael Meyer is the contact person for Cuba Solidarity Würzburg.
On request we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation, and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.