MERU - Medical Engineering Resource Unit
from diabilities to possibilities
30 West Hill, Unit 2 Eclipse Estate
KT198JD Epsom, Surrey
Ansprechpartner: Vicky Cable
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
MERU (Medical Engineering Resource Unit) is a charity that designs and manufactures specialised equipment for children and young people with disabilities. Some children have disabilities so complex that no available equipment meets their needs. At MERU, we use our design and engineering skills to custom-make exactly what each child needs to achieve their goals. MERU was founded in 1973 by William Bond, a senior lecturer in Engineering Design and Trefor Llewellyn Bowen, a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Our aim is to help young disabled people to achieve the following aspirations:
• I want to feel healthy
• I want to be comfortable and safe
• I want to look after myself
• I want to get around by myself
• I want to learn and achieve
• I want to have fun
• I want to make friends
• I want to feel liberated
MERU is part of Queen Elizabeth´s Foundation for Disabled People Family of Charities, working in partnership with other charities in the group for the benefit of children and young people with disabilities.
• Our advice service is available for anyone wishing to find out more about existing solutions or to discuss our custom-made service. Our in-house therapist will talk you through your options and if applicable, help you through our application process.
• Custom-made products: At MERU we offer an individual design and manufacturing service to young disabled people when no other product exists to meet their needs. We can make modifications to existing products and repair damaged equipment as well as custom-designing and manufacturing new and complex items.
• Ready-made products: We also offer a range of Ready-made products designed and manufactured in-house by our engineers and volunteers in response to requests from families and therapists. They are available to purchase online and sales of these affordable solutions help support our custom-making service.
• The TravelChair – a unique chair that provides firm, postural support enabling disabled children to fly on commercial aircraft.
Vicky Cable is the volunteer coordinator of MERU.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.