Deutsche Gesellschaft für Bipolare Störungen e.V. (DGBS e.V.)
Klinik für Psychiatrie
60528 Frankfurt am Main
Contact person: Daniela Wüstenbecker, Geschäftsführerin
- Educational policy/project
- Aid organization
- Social policy/disabled persons
The DGBS was founded in 1999 as a non-profit organisation. It is an independent, trialogical (collaborative) association, which encourages the exchange of experiences between those affected by bipolar disorders, their families, professionals and workers in the entire health care sector.
Our main aim is to accentuate the needs of people with bipolar disorders, to increase public awareness and to promote research, further training and self-help. Manic depression is an example of a bipolar disorder. Patients suffer from extreme mood swings.
Aims of the DGBS:
• Advising and supporting sufferers of bipolar disorders and their families with the basic aim of helping people to help themselves.
• Drawing attention to the disorder among professionals and the general public.
• Encouraging research and teaching on the causes of, and therapies for, bipolar disorders.
• Close cooperation with psychiatric associations, e.g. DGPPN, AGNP
• Supporting self-help initiatives coming from sufferers and their families.
• Highlighting the medical and health perspectives.
Activities of the DGBS:
• Info-Service: Service telephone for advice and organisational issues; up to date information for relatives, sufferers, experts and all concerned, including self-help groups; support in founding a self-help group; diagnosis; tips on relevant literature, therapy and dates of events, DGBS newsletter.
• Publicity: public information events and media campaigns, cooperation with “In Balance”, the bipolar disorder trust.
• Bipolar Roadshow: cultural events providing information on bipolar disorders in a different way
• DGBS sections: family caregivers, patients, science and international relations, public relations, health care.
• Further training: seminars for doctors, psychologists, teachers, sufferers and their relatives; the DGBS annual general meeting.
• Members' magazine IN BALANCE for the trialogical exchange of experiences and scientific discourse – appears once a year.
• Project S3-Guidelines: working groups set new standards to improve the health care (prevention, diagnosis, therapy and aftercare) of bipolar disorder sufferers in Germany, with lasting effect.
• Self-help: building up regional self-help networks; supporting the founding of self-help groups; internet forum www.bipolar-forum.de; membership work in the national and regional self-help associations.
On request, we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation and provide up to date information and contacts in the field of our work.