Afnan Al Galil
Organization for Social Development and Family Support
Contact person: Angelika Madi
+972 (0)4 6747647; +972 (0)543364816;
+972 (0)4 6747647
- Women's policy
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
AFNAN AL GALIL is a registered non-government organisation (NGO) and runs a centre for the furtherance of education, child care, culture and equal opportunities. Afnan Al Galil was founded early in 2007 by local people (teachers and others) in the Galilean town of Arraba.
The crucial factor was the need to initiate improvements in, and to develop, people’s personal, societal and economic situation. We were particularly concerned about the situation of women and girls, for whom there was no special programme in place at the time. Afnan Al Galil cooperates and is linked with other women’s groups in the region, which are working in the same field.
Tasks and activities:
AFNAN AL GALIL focuses mainly on the strengthening of Arab women and girls by education and qualifications, as a means of furthering their personal development and increasing their contribution to public life.
• Women’s Empowerment Group: a weekly meeting for local women, to analyse needs and to plan and organise activities. There are discussions about how to broaden the influence of disadvantaged Palastinian women on their own living conditions.
• Series of talks by academic experts on health and medical topics, women’s and community topics, as well as help with children’s upbringing.
• Girls club: open to female teenagers in Arraba, to build up their social, cognitive and emotional competences. We tackle specific topics which affect the lives of the girls, such as women’s position in Arab society, wedding and marriage, moral codes, school, job training, the world of work.
• School exchanges
• Women’s cooperative: improvement in the social and economic situation of Arab women through the introduction of tourist activities in Arraba, Israel.
• Running a visitors’ centre in an ancient building in Arraba, for the purpose of cultural interchange. Preservation of traditional Palestinian cultural goods and handicraft techniques.
• Display and sale of products with Palestinian embroidery and occhi lace.
Angelika Madi is the Drector of AFNAN AL GALIL.
On request, we can offer other net participants advice, give a presentation and provide up-to-date information and contacts in the field of our work.