Elementary School - Alto de los Mores
Contact person: Margie Orsi
- Aid organization
- Educational policy/project
- Women's policy
- Volunteers are welcome.
Ayni is a very small grassroots organization based in Piura, Nothern Peru. Its founder Margie Orsi, a high school teacher from Markham, Ontario, Canada began the organization in 2001.
The word Ayni comes from the language of an old native culture called Aymara based in Peru and Bolivia, and it means 'today for you, tomorrow for me.' Ayni is based on the idea of reiprocity: working together as a group for the group, a sharing of ideas and resources, helping one another and having a sense of responsibility for each other.
Ayni's work takes place in Alto de los Mores, a small isolated rural village of indigenous Peruvians.Our organization works together with this community to alleviate some of the major barriers of living in extreme poverty.
Our role is multifaceted and continues to grow within the community from women's development projects, to small micro-credit schemes, as well as encouraging and supporting education and knowledge of human rights throughout the community.
• Provide school supplies annually in the Elementary and Secondary Schools in Alto de los Mores.
• Equipped all classes with basic necessities
• Bought a computer and printer to be used by the administrator teachers as well as Grade 6 students
• We initially supplied several books, flashcards, games, puzzles, workbooks etc. to start a library at the school for both the children and the teachers.
• Provided Electricity to the school and Installed running water to the existing bathrooms and cooking area.
• Sponsorship of ALL graduating elementary students to continue education at High School level, by supporting students and paying for their fees.
• Parents-Education: First Aid Workshops; Health & Nutrition Workshops; Human Rights / Women's Rights Education; Moral support to encourage parents to keep their children in school; Promotion of democratic processes through community projects
• Community Development Projects: Sustainable Agriculture (Forestation etc.); Economic Independence (Micro-Credit Loans/Sponsorship Scheme); Maintenance of Health and Social Advocacy
Margie Orsi is the Founder of Ayni.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.