470 27th Street
CA 94612 Oakland
Contact person: Julie Rems-Smario
- Aid organization
- Social policy/disabled persons
- Educational policy/project
- Volunteers are welcome.
DeafHope is a nonprofit organization, established for and by Deaf women in January 2003.
Our mission at DeafHope is to end domestic and sexual violence against Deaf women and children through empowerment, education and services.
This mission will be achieved on three levels:
• by providing services to Deaf women and children who are survivors of domestic and sexual violence
• by educating our community and service providers about domestic and sexual violence
• by providing statewide training and technical assistance to establish more Deaf-run services for Deaf survivors
• 24-hour Hotline: access to immediate assistance for Deaf survivors by email
• Support: support groups, children’s art therapy and peer counseling
• Individual Advocacy: support for survivors to advocate on their own behalf for safety and independence
• Systems Advocacy: access to resources such as welfare and medical systems, referral to other necessary services
• Legal Advocacy: make the legal system more accessible to Deaf women in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, support with restraining orders, custody and other legal issues
• Community Education: workshops and events to increase awareness about domestic and sexual violence
• Technical Assistance: training for organizations, civil and criminal justice professionals, and others to increase services for Deaf survivors, using a cultural model of deafness
• Advocate Training: training for state certification for domestic and sexual violence advocates
• Resource Center: information about establishing Deaf-run nonprofit services for Deaf survivors, and information about legal, interpreting, and advocacy issues impacting Deaf survivors
Julie Rems-Smario is the Executive Director of DeafHope.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.