Sense International (Romania)
Bd. Timişoara, nr. 27, Bl. D, sc. B, ap. 23, Sector 6
Ansprechpartner: Cristiana Salomie
- Sozialpolitik/behinderte Menschen
Sense International (Romania) – SI(R) is a non-governmental, non-profit organisation, independent of any public or private institutions, with no political affiliation, established in 2001 and supported by the British organisation Sense International UK.
SI(R) has become a key resource in the field of deafblindness in Romania, relying upon the deafblind child’s fundamental right to education and early intervention – an opportunity in the rehabilitation process. Sense International (Romania) vision is a world where deafblind children and adults can become active members of the society.
The mission is to work in partnership with others – deafblind people, their families, carers and professional – to ensure that everyone facing challenges because of deafblindness has access to advice, opportunities and support.
• Romanian legislation recognises deafblindness as a distinct disability, as a result of Lobby and Advocacy Programme implemented by Sense International (Romania).
• The Education Programme was developed in a context where there were no specific education services provided for deafblind children, whose needs are very different from those who are either deaf, or blind. This programme gives children the opportunity to be educated, according to their individual needs, by specialists trained by Sense International (Romania) over the years.
• Through the first ever Early Intervention Programme dedicated to newborn babies, Sense International (Romania) has opened the gates to hearing and vision screening at birth, so that babies have a fantastic chance of professional diagnosis and adequate rehabilitation programmes. Deafblind/multisensory impaired children receive early intervention services provided in Early Intervention Support Centers.
• SI(R) is the first and only organisation in Romania to address the issue of Education for Deafblind / Multisensory Impaired Children. Starting from scratch, with no awareness of deafblindness in the country, SI(R) has managed to create a network of 35 classes set up in 15 state special schools for the deaf and the blind in Romania, where 140 deafblind children benefit from good quality education offered by specialists whose expertise is highly appreciated.
• With the support of our partners – the Early Intervention Support Centres in Bucharest, Oradea and Timisoara, as well as “Vasile Pavelcu” School Iași, Sense International (Romania) will organise on this occasion a series of activities for deafblind children and their families. Educational and relaxation activities will be organised to emphasise the importance of become more aware of this unique disability and to get closer to our vision – a world where all deafblind children and adults can become active members of the society.
Cristiana Salomie is the Director of Sense International (Romanie).
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.