Ending Violence Against Women
9/2B Deodar Street
700019 Kolkata, West Bengal
Ansprechpartner: Anuradha Kapoor
- Frauenpolitik/feministisches Projekt
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
Swayam is a women’s rights organization committed to ending violence against women and children, based in Kolkata. It was registered as a public charitable trust in 1995.
Swayam literally means ‘oneself’ and was set up to provide a holistic support service to women facing violence in their lives. Our strength is our empowering, woman-centred approach, which looks beyond a woman’s immediate need for support and encourages her to become self-confident, self-sufficient and self-reliant. We believe that each individual possesses an inner strength to counter obstacles and thus emerge with renewed self-confidence as a stronger, more complete person.
• Our Support Centre provides them with wide-ranging services like counselling, a drop-in-centre, follow up of cases with the police, legal aid, health care, child support and referrals for employment, vocational training and shelter.
• Our Public Education and Awareness Generation Programme aims to generate discussion and debate, share information about women’s issues and influence public opinion against violence on women and children. We work with educational institutions, police, judiciary, community groups, NGOs, and the general public.
• We conduct Research on and Campaigns against violence on women and lobby for broad socio-legal changes with different state agencies. We also produce posters, leaflets, factsheets, resource directories and other campaign materials.
• Our Skill Enhancement Programmes are aimed at strengthening the concepts and skills of Swayam members and other NGO workers and social activists.
• Networking: Swayam believes that it is important to join hands with other like-minded organizations and networks working on similar issues, if we are to bring about any significant social change.
• Policy Intervention: Swayam interacts with different state agencies to influence policy level changes on issues relating to women’s rights.
Swayam envisages a just and equitable world where there is peace, tolerance, cooperation and equality between men and women - a world that is free from violence and discrimination.
We aim to establish the right of women and children to live a life free from violence and fear by:
• Working towards ending violence against women and children
• Enabling women to take control of their lives and reinforce their belief in themselves by facilitating a process of self-dependence
• Questioning and trying to change established social norms and values that have deemed Violence against Women acceptable.
• Working in a collective manner and in solidarity with movements and struggles for a violence free world.
Anuradha Kapoor is the Founder Director and Managing Trustee of Swayam.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.