People's Open Access Education Initiative: Peoples-uni
Universities of Manchester, UK, and Newcastle, Australia
Ansprechpartner: Richard Heller
- Freiwillige Helfer sind willkommen.
The People's Open Access Educational Initiative, the Peoples-uni, is an in January 2007 registered UK charity. Our aim is to help with Public Health capacity building in low- to middle-income countries, through Internet based education. The use of Open Educational Resources freely available on the Internet, and volunteers to staff the Initiative, allows this to be offered at very low cost.
Overall objectives of the Peoples-uni:
• Provide capacity building in Public Health for those working in low- to middle-income countries who would otherwise not be able to access such education, via Internet based e-learning
• Utilise a 'social model' of capacity building, with volunteer academic and support staff and Open Educational Resources available through the Internet, using a collaborative approach and modern Information and Communication Technology
• Offer education at the 'train the trainers' level, equivalent to that of a Masters degree, for those with prior educational and occupational experience
• The education will meet identified competences which help with the evidence based practice of Public Health and be action oriented, to assist in tackling major health problems facing the populations in which the students work
• Create an educational portfolio leading to a Certificate and Diploma in Public Health based on being shown to have met the competences identified in 4 or 8 of the course modules respectively, and an upgrade to the Masters of Public Health based on further work
Peoples-uni offers education at the 'train the trainers' level, equivalent to that of a Masters level, for those with prior educational and occupational experience. The education meets identified competences which help with the practice of Public Health and are action oriented, reflecting a critical understanding of the evidence base, to assist in tackling major health problems facing the populations in which the students work. We provide an educational portfolio leading to a Certificate and Diploma in Public Health based on being shown to have met the competences identified in 4 or 8 of the course modules respectively (and later to a Masters).
Richard Heller is the Coordinator of Peoples-uni.
For other net participants we can offer an expert guidance through trained staff, give an expert opinion, procure expert information and establish new contacts in the field of our work.